Traitorous thoughts; Ford Ranger?

Wotcher all, am thinking about replacing my audi and the landy with something that can do the job of both, now that the landy doesn't off-road any more and the audi hasn't moved much either.

Am trying to find out details about the Ford Ranger 2WD diesel, particularly the MPG that I can expect out of it. I've been searching for about 30 mins now and just keep going around in circles. Does anyone have any details about these, particularly double-cab versions? I'm trying to find something that can carry four people, a small-ish muckly load and not scoff fuel.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Ian Rawlings writes

It pains me to say that they are very good. Very reliable.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Saw this in the Telegraph:

I refer to your recent reply about speed limits for pick-ups. Are you sure the national limit is 50mph on single carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways? I.S., France

Sorry, the police have subsequently advised that a four-wheel-drive pick-up is classified as a multi-purpose vehicle, like a Land Rover, and is not subject to the 50mph limit. Two-wheel-drive pick-ups are treated as light commercial vehicles, though, so the lower limits still apply.

source

rads

Blimey, food for thought, cheers for the pointer.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hello Marc, do you have any idea about the fuel consumption of

2003/2004 diesel models? I was going to go for the 4x2 but I'm not so sure now, given it seems they're subject to a lower speed limit.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In message , Ian Rawlings writes

Just goes to show how much of an ass the law is. Clearly such rulings have nothing to do with common sense, but what's more annoying is the attitude of the 'establishment' in presenting these pearls of wisdom, as if they were tablets coming direct from heaven. We're lions led by donkeys.

Similar anomalies are experienced with the Severn Bridge tolls. If you have a seven ton truck converted to a motor home with a window on the side, it's a car. If you have a mini van it's a commercial vehicle. If you have a crew cab van or pick up it's a car, and so on.

But talking of Ford pick ups, we have a Ford Thunder crew cab in one of our companies, I'd never have chosen if it were up to me, but it's a nice big motor with a willing diesel engine giving a rough average of about 29 mpg, comfortable interior, ours is top of the range with leather and AC etc. It carries a decent load in the back and has some off road ability, compared to a Renault Clio !! I still prefer a 130 Defender Crew Cab, by about a million miles, but then I'm hopelessly addicted to the best vehicles in the world :-))

Reply to
jmv

Hmm, that's not much good really, I wanted the 4x2 originally in an effort to maximise fuel efficiency as I hate paying for the stuff, but if you're only getting 30MPG or so out of it then it's not really any better than a Defender, I'd need to get at least 40MPG to make it worth switching. I have thought about a 110 crew cab, it'd be nice but I'm trying to get something that'll eat less fuel.

Also IIRC the Ranger can't legally tow as much as even its stablemates, let alone a Defender.

Humbug.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:14:07 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

convert the 110 to a double-cab. You could do that using new parts for less than buying the ford.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes but I'd still have the fuel scoffing to contend with, and the lack of creature comforts, on long journeys a more car-like interior would be a good thing.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

... or simply mount your spare wheel on the bonnet to move into a different band.

Reply to
Dougal

Heh, thought I'd found the perfect vehicle here;

"Lotus, one of Britains finest sports car makers, has just announced the Elise Load Lugga flatbed light commercial vehicle, the brands first non-sports car ever. This new model, a project that was heavily guarded by Lotus engineers to the very end, flew under the radar, until today, when it was announced that the first unit of production had rolled off the assembly line. The brand hopes that by branching out into the light truck marketplace, it will be able attain new and retain current owners."

Shame it's dated 1st April 2006 :-(

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:19:43 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

teehee. I like it.

how about one of those vauxhalls, what did they call it now, VXR8 or something. revamp of the Monaro but with 4 doors. Now, I'm a die-hard ford man, but even I'd be tempted. 400-odd BHP 6 litre V8...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

How many would you like? They are common as fleas on a dog at this end of the world, and probably cheap enough on the used market to be worth shipping to the UK.

for all that they do.
for an overview

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:02:19 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

be-yew-dy. You can get a ute, too, cobber. now that could be fun.

Australia: the only country with a race series for pick-up trucks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

300kW (and a lot more with a wee bit of fettling) in something with so little rear weight is a huge amount of fun. I sold my (supercharged, 400kW) one before I got myself into real trouble with it.

The USA Craftsman truck series doesn't count?

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:14:32 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I sit corrected. They used to show the Aussie ute-racing on one of the free satellite motors channels over here.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

There's a pickup series in the UK as well runs at Rockingham as a support series to the SCSA races - .

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson