Trying to find old tyres

Lovely work Peter.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

AFAIAA virtually none, certainly no MOT type regular inspection. There would undoubtly be insurance implications if you didn't have "roadworthy" tyres on a trailer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tyres - I understood that the tyres have to meet the same tread requirements as cars - but I could be wrong.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

... all requirements, not just those related to the tread.

Wheels, however, I don't believe are subject to any specific rules other than the requirement to be 'up to the job'.

Reply to
Dougal

Sorry, you are of course quite correct, I should have been more specific in my reply.

Out of interest, in Sweden the trailer has its own "registration" and is subject to an annual "MOT".

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

On or around Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:24:19 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I'd just put something like a 185R15 van tyre on it, unless that made it too low.

Although it might be tricky to get one with as much weight capacity. Depends what the trailer is and the intended gross weight. Modern van tyres generally have a weight spec on them.

Hmmm. How about low-loader wheels? some of them might be 15".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:02:23 +0100, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

nah, put tracks up a ramp and winch them on.

That's what they do with full-size locos. Allely's are the people who do that job, mostly:

I agree with abandoning the odd trailer to its fate though, even as a freebie it's going to be a pain, and if you start getting into replacing the axles, you might as well buy a new one.

email me if you want a quote :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles