Trailer tyres and wheels

Trailer tyres

I have a big (well for a car) 4 wheel two axle trailer which I pull behind my transit. Probably 3.5 tons gross weight althought the plate has long since been obscured.

I ran over some glass last week and first one tyre blew and the other followed it shortly after (well that was because I didn't stop since I was only about 0.5 mile down the road from home).

I come to try and replace the tyres and they want 200 pounds + vat each! (ATS price) Not only that but one of the other tyres looks a little cracked on the side wall. I also have no spare. So if I wanted to do the job properly I'd be looking at 800 pounds plus vat.

The tyre in question is 225/75 R 10.

The nearest I can get to this at a more reasonable price is 225/55 R 10 (100 pounds each) which would make the trailer 1.5 inches lower. Which is not too bad. However even with this I would still need 5 tyres making it 500 pounds + fitting. I have no spare by the way and no steel wheel to fit it onto.

So I am looking at replacing the steel rims perhaps going up to 12 or

14 inches diameter.

Can anyone suggest a good place to get these. They are zero offset. I had a look at towsure but they have a very limited range. My hub is 5 stud.

My pitch circle diameter looks to be 5.5 inches if that is normal for a trailer?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Take a wheel to a decent-sized scrapyard and try to match it up with something (an old Volvo/Merc/BMW perhaps?).

Reply to
Carl Bowman

You could always try these people:

10 inch 5 stud wheels are rare, but 12 inch 5 stud are a common size. Also, ordinary car tyres don't last very long on a trailer IME. Been there, done that, and after a couple of years they were worn out. Spent a bit extra on 8 ply rating ones and they are wearing far more slowly.
Reply to
philipte