under 9.8 MPG...

My credit card is getting very hard to get out of my wallet.. i think it is scared...

Having just run out of petrol in the 101 I have been able to calculate its MPG as less than 9.8MPG - 'less than' because i dont have a gauge and i put £25 squids worth in last week and it obviously wasnt totally empty at that point.

I managed to get within 1 mile of a petrol station though about 100 yards before the brow of the hill from which i could hgave coasted down to it. Thanks to the nice guy in the van who gave me a lift back and saved me the hike! - i shall always pick up people with petrol cans from now on to earn myself some karma :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Crikey, that's terrible. Are you running too "rich" - awful pun not intended.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I'm assuming it is running rich or my leaky tank is doing more leaking than i thought it was. The outside of the tank is permenantly wet along the bottom edge. Im guessing while it isnt visibly dripping much it is evaporating a lot.

I've got the gas tank ready to mount now (cant mount it finally as im still waiting for the box for the valve), the vaporiser mounted and all the LPG wiring done so hopefully i can have it running on gas soon and just keep a can (perhaps my new plastic one!) of petrol in the back for emergencies. :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Club's out of stock At the moment I think.

Where are you putting the tank ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

This was about my experience in 1998 when I last used my 101 in anger the arrival of the V8 110 meant I couldn't justify using it on a regular basis anymore.

Now she's up and running I wonder just how to get decent mileage out of it?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I've never driven mine with a working odometer until now, but when I drove it before we reckoned (through filling the tank until it pissed out onto the floor as this was as close to full as we could get!) that it was getting 12-15mpg

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:35:31 +0100, AJH enlightened us thusly:

take the V8 out and put in a diesel.

however... in practical terms, you can't. It's 3 tons plus of motor with aerodynamics that make a brick look streamlined, especially so if it's an ambi.

LPG makes sense if you're going to do enough mileage.

you'd probably find that fitting a 3.9 with the hotwire injection system would improve it a bit, unless you used the extra power to go faster. I've an idea that you need to modify the engine cover to clear the plenum though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Are you mad? Isn't the whole point in having a 101 the V8... the 101 bit is just a bonus.

I think unless Tom goes down the Autobox route there would be issues with gear linkage clearance too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I currently have no desire to sit on top of a diesel engine! :) When LPG gets more expensive i might be tempted by a turbo diesel - but i reckon the LR ones are too small. I want 3L or so. This depends how steves tdi conversion works (once he gets his finger out and fits it ;) )

Assuming i get the LPG set up to give me 12 or so mpg its not gonna take long to pay itself back.

12mpg on LPG @ 44ppl = 17p/mile 9mpg on petrol @ 94ppl = 47p/mile is a saving of ~30p/mile

Gas kit cost £450 ish so I need to to 1500 miles to pay it back atfer which it becomes cheap motoring... (please feel free someone to tell me where my maths is wrong!)

aye. The gear linkage run inbetween the carbs and is very close to the lid. (the screw in plastic caps for the carb dampers almost touch the engine cover)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Out of where????

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Thats an issue for you to take up with steve yourself! ;)

whilst i actually typed 'get' rather than 'pull' because i took a couple of phone calls mid message, on googling it looks like to 'get one's finger out' is the americanised version of to 'pull one's finger out' - so i'm still good ;)

Tom Woods

We are absolutely flat out at work for the next 10 days - in at evenings and weekends too. 'Sides getting the axle back on the GS is more urgent than getting the 200tdi into the ambi, and it is nearer completion.

Lizzy Taylor

On or around Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:41:34 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

yer lucky to get a decent gas kit for that, unless s/h...

that and the normal theory is that LPG returns at best about 90% of the petrol MPG - the fuel contains less specific energy, so for a given power output you end up using more fuel. There are issues like better mixing, meaning that you don't need the same sort of enrichment when cold, so that if you do lots of short journeys it'd do better than on a few long ones.

LPG runs better in a high-compression engine, a good bet in this respect is SD1 spec (9.75:1) pistons, unless (and this is unlikely now) you can score a P5 or P6 10.5:1 engine in decent nick. Both of these last are only relevant if you already need an engine or engine work.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Guess I'll have to scratch the Greeceball rally this year then... tsk!

;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

tis new - though i think the switch may be 2nd hand as im sure it is the one they gave me when the one on the car broke and i needed a temporary one ;) Not fussed really since i know they will swap it without quarrel if it breaks!

I've seen cheaper on t'internet but am buying it locally as i like the guys and that price includes set up, certification and support if it goes wrong or needs setting up again. And they have converted and owned 101's before.

not having an engine now ive done the head gaskets!. Will stick a cam in this one and then start saving for a bigger one :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

In fact it has about 75% the calories and I get about 75% less miles for the same volume of fuel on the 110 on lpg but I have the 8.12:1 cr on which the high lpg octane rating is wasted.

Immediate savings should be possible with the fuel cut off on overrun if you stick a lambda sensor in the exhaust and a controller, in fact I did this long ago but never fitted the leonardo controller. It does show I run weak on lpg, another reason for fitting the controller.

The thing is there have been a couple of posts suggesting the higher "C" transfer gears and an overdrive reduce fuel consumption and mother implied that his 4.6 was particularly economical on lpg.

So logically increasing power by fitting the 10.5:1 pistons and pushing lpg into a less restricted intake system should mean enough extra torque to pull a higher gear and thus get better efficiency.

For my mileage this looks unlikely to have a pay back unless I get some cheap bits.

There's no way around the weight and drag but the 101 is no heavier than a RR and does drag count much below 56mph?

I did use my GS as a daily drive but when the 110 came along it seemed more practical. With the GS having no significant value I could use it again if I could get the fuel costs similar to a transit truck.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I think people are often optimistic until they log it properly!

AJH

Reply to
AJH

AJH uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I pulled 9 mpg with Morph on our last big trip but that was fully loaded with camping clobber , fully furnished as a camper, 4 occupants 2 dogs and towing effing BIG caravan along the Llanberis Pass. He pulled well on that occasion.... though my primary concern was brake fade coming down the other side. Figures were from tank full to tank refilled and milage from GPS logs so that pretty dammed acurate.

I think you should be able to get better on a Solo run Tom, I'd expect 13-14 mpg on Petrol, slightly less on gas prob 10-12mpg on gas... but hey at half the cost who's counting!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

most of the travelling i have been doing is solo, nowt in the back (except a sofa for the last 5 miles or so!) which is stripped out. No battery box or compressor tank or spare wheel or passengers - so i should have got more than morph with a full load and a caravan!

I reckon it is leaking quite a bit.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I did used to have to drive at 45 max so that it didnt overheat! so could have been realistic!

Reply to
Tom Woods