V5 and seating capacity for 110 csw ??

Does anybody know the reason why my V5 has no number for seating capacity although the vehicle is a pukka factory 110 csw ( 12 seats as standard ) ?

I just had a rejection from Congestion Charging because the V5 does not show

12 seats. Funnily enough when I had the first MoT after 12 months ( not 3 years) they only classed 6 seats as tessted and did not include the inward facing seats ( crew seats ). Why on earth is it classed as a minibus by some but not others ??

If the V5 were altered by DVLA to show seating capacity then what would happen to my insurance test procedures etc.

The story also is that my daughter acannot drive it as it has 12 seats ( has to be 21 ) but it is not classed as a 12 seater ??

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:30:53 GMT, "Hirsty's" enlightened us thusly:

get the V5 adjusted to say 6 seats, then she can :-)

or conversely... not sure about the legality of sideways seats in minibuses now though, I *think* they're still legal for purely private use. I think you'll find the original 12-seat thing was a wheeze by the factory years ago to avoid car tax, or some such - it's pretty cramped actually trying to fit

12 in.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:30:53 GMT when "Hirsty's" put finger to keyboard producing:

I just checked the V5 for my 1984 110 csw and it also does not list the number of seats. However there is a section for changes where you can specify the number of seats but would this change it's taxation class?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

This is exactly what I am wondering, the letter I received stated that I could submit a purchase invoice stating seating capacity instead but mine does not state the capacity either. What intrigues me is the seeming ghost status these 110 's enjoy. By rights we should have tachometers when in France because of the 12 seats, however I heard that the Uk negotiated a dispensation years ago to cover LR 12 seats ?? The other annoying feature is the insurance aspect; " no mate 12 seats ha ha ", yet when it suits it seems it is only 6

Reply to
Hirsty's

Twas Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:16:59 GMT when "Hirsty's" put finger to keyboard producing:

Is there some significance in there being 12 seats? I mean if I take the front centre seat out we are down to 11, if I take one or both bench seats out of the back we are then down to 8 or

5, what do these numbers mean? do they change anything from a taxation or insurance point of view?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Insurance risk must be higher with the potental for greater injury claims, I would imagine that the risk also takes into account the fact that mini-bus drivers usually drive employers vehicles and hence less concern so greater risk. DVLA usually considers 7 or 9 and above as being the point at which they start to play games with us. Insurance companies irritate me as they tend to send offers inviting me to insure and when the quote gets as far as seats " ah sorry we dont do them" so I wind them up now and mention the seats as a last comment. Really gets the call centres on the Asian sub-continent going :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:32:32 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

current regulations state that anything *over* 8 passenger seats or 9 seats overall is a minibus, up to 16 pax/17 overall.

8 or fewer passenger seats is either a motor car or a heavy motor car, presumably dependant on weight.

I still reckon the 12-seats thing is historic and a dodge to get around car tax..

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Heavy motorcar? Only one of those I've *ever* heard of was Gumdrop (Austin Clifton 4/10 heavy).

Paul S. Brown

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:24:45 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

there's still a taxation class for it, AFAIK, and I think an MOT class too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles