chassis corrosion, 110 CSW

I have a 1992/K 110 CSW 200Tdi. There is a nasty looking bit of corrosion on the offside rear part of the chassis, back from the axle, around 150mm from the rear crossmember.

I've known about it for a while and was trying to keep an eye on it, I cleaned it up and slapped on some extra waxoyl before the winter, but when I had a look at the weekend that I managed to poke a finger through. The rest of the chassis seems OK.

What would folks suggest for a repair. Can it be patched or a new section of chassis weled in place from behind the axle back? Can these be bought or do I need to find a garage who can fabricate something for me? (I'm in Edinburgh if any has any local suggestions)

The rear crossmember is showing it's age a bit so I'd probably want that repaced at the same time.

It's done ~130K miles and is otherwise in reasobale nick, so I'd like to keep it on the road but not beyond the realms of economics. How much should this sort of remedial work cost?

Reply to
urchaidh

Typical spot for corrosion.

E-mail me off-group ( snipped-for-privacy@bhengineering.co.uk) and I'll give you details of a "man that can" in Kirkliston, he's done lots of these jobs and his welding is good. I just don't want to publish his details here without his permission, but you can get in touch after emailing me and he'll probably have a look-see then quote you.

Reply to
Badger

On or around 14 Mar 2005 07:20:42 -0800, "urchaidh" enlightened us thusly:

I patched mine. give it a good hammering with a smallish ball-pein hammer ( the ball end thereof) around the area where it's holed, to make sure you find any other weak spots or holes, then a good-sized patch to get to solid metal.

I used some 2mm steel (which is the same thickness as the original chassis, IIRC) and the local MOT bloke said "you might have put something decently thick on it". dunno what he'd have used, 3mm probably which is pointless and adds extra weight.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

You did exactly the right thing Austin. I have seen people repair there chassis with 10mm plate, because they thought it would be stronger !!!! the plate might be strong but the join between the two will be useless.

Reply to
Marc Draper