Old V8 disco

Newbie question.

I'm vaguely looking at a 91 gas conversion Disco to replace an old 2.25

110 because of chassis rot. Can't ask or see inside until the owner passes through the country again. Presume it's a 3.5 V8.

It superficially looks fine. Would one of these use the cheapest unleaded, or have to have higher octane stuff? Would it have a strong clutch, and good torque to be able to back and forward jiggle a 2.5 ton boat into a tight corner of a shed like the 110 does? Would any problem be likely with my pattern of use ie spring and autumn a few 100 mile journeys, intense heavy towing of heavy boats around rough, salty, stony, sandy ground, back home and 6-months standing in the path unloved, uncared for and unused until the next thrash?

I have no money, and the government seems likely to want even more. All the 110 has ever needed is a couple of tanks of fuel a year, a bit of welding and gaffer tape over the holes. Is a Disco going to cost a fortune after the initial reasonable purchase?

Grateful for any advice to look at when I return in the 110 after it's done its work for a couple of days!

Reply to
Bill

im guessing you are in the UK from your use of 'autumn', so if its got a gas conversion then you will be putting LPG in it not any of that expensive petrol stuff!

My impression it that there are a lot more fiddly bits to rot away on an old disco than on a 110!

Reply to
Tom Woods

It'll be easier moving the trailer - more torque and better steering lock. Oil change once a year, runs on normal unleaded but won't use a lot if it's on LPG. When starting after a long period of rest, tappets may rattle a bit initially but let it warm up before driving and it ought to be ok. Check boot floor and rear crossmember body mounts for serious corrosion. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Badger writes

Thanks for this and Tom's reply. Yes, I'm in the UK. I'm just passing by the PC after the first day of this autumn's work.

Sorry about these questions, but I'm trying to do quick internet searches and coming up a blank most of the time.

I'm not quite sure where the steel ends and the ally begins on a Disco. Is there a galvanic corrosion problem like on the 110? That seemed easy to paint over and never seems to trouble the MOT. Can a Disco have ally plates rivetted in to cover the hole in the driver's floor or isn't it necessary? What I think I'm really asking is whether an MOT is stricter for a Disco than for an 'industrial' 110.

Would a '91 Disco have a carburettor and no electronics, or do all Disco's have complex engine management?

The thing I like about the 110 is the looks and the total simplicity. I've never changed the oil, just popped into Poundland about every other year to drip-add another litre. Unfortunately a new chassis or yet more patches would be a step too far, next spring the MOT fail is likely, and replacement 110's seem to be more expensive than V8 Disco's of apparently equivalent quality. My 110 has achieved depreciation of well under £100 a year over 10 years, and this Disco I'm looking at looks as though it might achieve the same.

Reply to
Bill

MOT rules are the same, any corrosion which weakens the stucture significantly within 12" of a suspension/steering/brake/seat/seatbelt mounting is a fail. If corrosion in the footwell is within 12" of, say, the pedal box mounts or seat/belt mounts - then it's a fail, same as the 110. Galvanic corrosion can occur along the lower edges of the doors and around the wheelarches, same as a 110.

It'll either be carburettors, or the first of the fuel injection models, fited with the extremely simple and reliable "hotwire" efi system.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Badger writes

Thanks Brian. I've now had a better look in daylight and managed to drive back and forward a few feet. It seems to have fuel injection.

What I didn't anticipate is the feel of the suspension after my 110. I do a lot of backing up in as precise a way as possible to hook on to boat trailers. Trying forward and reverse in the Disco in low ratio, it would rock over on its springs in what I found quite an alarming way, and that was just the Disco itself with nothing attached. In low ratio, it felt a bit like driving a jelly. I presume this is normal for a Mk1? Is it just something to get used to? There are often people standing near the back of the vehicle waiting to drop the pin through the trailer plate.

Reply to
Bill

On or around Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:52:51 +0000, Bill enlightened us thusly:

They're a lot softer than 110s. I had one on which I worked on the suspension - replaced the dampers, fitted stiffer/taller springs (the shorter of the HD diesel range rover springs on the front and HD 90 rears on the back, with a 1" spacer on the back, otherwise it didn't sit level). This made it much tauter handling and much better at towing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It would have been a tad easier to use Britpart Yellow springs, they get you the lift and stiffness - light duty, medium duty or heavy duty.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:28:13 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

not sure they were available, might have been. My theory was that it should be possible using standard springs; the only thing slightly wrong with it is that the standard disco rears are about as stiff and tall as they come bar for the 110 rear springs, which are a different size, of course.

I might nee dot know about stiffer springs for the project though. Yet certain how it's going to turn out with spring rates - the transit, as it is, weighs 1900Kg, or so, and even if you say that the engine, box, axles and suspension weigh half a ton, that still makes the body shell 1400Kg, which is possibly more than a 110 CSW body.

Reply to
Austin Shackles