V8's n stuff

Arthritic fingers well crossed...

Reply to
Mother

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:17:29 +0100, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

please bring chainsaw.........

just got back, took it for a spin with the carb elbows off.... really noisy. Left hand carb is definitely poor. It farts, pops, and backfires. Running with the carb elbows off enabled me to see this!! Right hand carb seems fine....

Going to now see if they are unblanced (probably are) and if anything can be done!!!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Fuel lines were blown through (in both directions) previously. Carbs were also considered by Warren but declared OK.

It went to Sheffield and back in June without incident. Prior to that it got me to Peterborough and back after without hiccup (2003 LRO Show). I wonder if the previous fix in rebuilding the engine hasn't lasted. The symptoms sound identical. If it is the same fault - here's the test....

When it's dying, will it idle? If so, does a firm boot on the throttle stall it? If so, I'd bet my pension it's the same fault. Warren's theory (never proved) was inlet manifold leak.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:46:15 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs scribbled the following nonsense:

Adjusted the height of the needle valve, replaced the new inline filter with another new one, touching wood, going to run it to LR Fest tonight, so we'll see!

Now taken it for a 10 mile test run, no probs, touch wood.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

That's what I like about 101 owners, even ex-ones - they can never really let them go !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Judging by previous comments, I'm not sure you ever become one of those.

Don's flame suit.... One carb looks the same as another to me! Now injection pumps....

Done. Glad its going, might need the shelter if the weather is to be believed. See you there.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:08:07 +0100, Tim Hobbs scribbled the following nonsense:

the needle valve adjustment seems to have solved (touch wood) the problem so far.

She has had 30 miles of running, with none of it rough, she idles a treat, and picks up better and accelerates faster than my old hybrid.

She now idles, and then booting it......revs her to the point where the ears hurt, and then on the way back down, there is no popping, farting banging or clattering......

Having met Warren, I will be be *more* than surprised that a poorly adjusted needle vale was the fault......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I wouldn't have sold _him_ to you if I'd known you were going to give him a sex change... :-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:05:07 +0000 (UTC), Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

sounds like the old chestnut of a blocked tank breather.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:59:11 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

although, to be fair, the vehicle exhibits far more female symptoms

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 07:28:15 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

exactly, hence the "she"

Got to the showground, Martyn jumped in, took it for a spin, came back praising the pickup, the quietness, the brakes (of all things on a

101) The way he was heaping praise on the truck, I thought he was going to offer to swap for Grumble ;-)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

very definitely not....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:57:52 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

that's why I said "sounds like". I didn't think it was likely, after all the work put into it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

and how...

Reply to