V8's n stuff

Kevin Bloody Wilson is touring the UK at present, you know... :-)

Reply to
Mother

Its a case of trying to regain focus I think. Whats really annoying is that both are suffering the exact same problems. The GS is the better of the two ATM, although she could do with a fair bit of tlc... new rear crossmember, waxoil, fit gas kit thats on the shelf, finish interior, re-paint exterior etc etc etc

I just wish I hadn't landed myself with two that are both in need of a good going over. Still wouldn't want to get bored, or heavens forbid, save money :o) Trouble is I'm an impatient person and a perfectionist. A bad combination, needs to be concours last week :o)

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Have you tried running in the dark with the lid off yet? I bet it looks like a sci-fi effect from Stargate :0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Done that, not a bit of it. Still its has new cap and magnecor plugs today! Still runs bloody awful. Taking it to town and country landrover tomorrow, they can figure it out, I'm lost.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:57:52 +0100, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

one carb playing silly buggers is my bet, in the absence of electrical problems.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Or go the whole way and fit EFI....... (ducks and runs away, quickly!) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I reckon you're c*ck-on with that bet. Especially having had pretty much the same problem yesterday with Siman and Dawns new toy (still sat outside).

I personally hate the Strombergs and would always suggest replacing them with SUs.

Reply to
Mother

This is now my plan for Grumble, however on a standard 101 the two issues are rebuilding the engine cover and re-making the gearchange linkage. As I not longer have to worry about the latter, it makes the job easier and more feasible.

Reply to
Mother

Surely the inlet plenum doesn't stick up that much further than the carbs, to foul the engine cover? I thought the 101 had a fair clearance between the carbs and cover? If it's marginal, you could always fit shorter inlet trumpets and machine the plenum down a little on its mounting face before clearance to the nearside rocker cover gets critical. Or consider the "thor" inlet manifold, with std injectors and ecu? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

This is now proven. To test the theory, pull away the clip on linkage between the carbs, the one on the passenger side (RHD) lifeless, the other, actuated by hand, revs the nuts off... Float chamber, hammer?

Reply to
Mother

This is my conclusion, esp as you could see 4 plugs that were definately lighter than the others, but I thought lets get the elecs out the way first. T & C LR said much the same about stromborgs, there guess was a damaged diaphram, a common problem apparently. Well I'd got a set of Sus on the shelf so I'm handing them and truck to T & C and hope the result will be a running truck!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:07:28 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" scribbled the following nonsense:

the gear linkage lever doesn't clear the tops of the carbs by much.

Have just got off the phone from Martyn, and have now had iot confirmed that my passenger side carb is dead.

Quick way to test if it is a dead carb, pull of HT lead 4 with the engine running and see if the engine drops, replace it, pull of HT3, note any change in engine note, replace and then try HT6, 4 and 6 are served by the same carb, 3 is the other side.

To confirm, disconnect the linkage and rev each carb seperately, the dead carb will not rev the engine, but the working one will.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Checking the rubber diaphram is easy - simply remove the 4 screws holding the top of the carb and remove the entire top case. The piston is attached to the diaphram, remove it and inspect for a split. Simons are both fine, but you may like to ask T & C if they have another pair of HIF44s on the shelf - ideally on a V8 manifold! ;-)

Reply to
Mother

wassup with it?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yep, he's got a receipt somewhere for them being sorted I think. Is it just the float chamber gunked up?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It's dead (doesn't make the engine rev)

My guess is float chamber. We took the top off and it's fine - so three stage plan:

Hit it with a hammer* Short blasts of air into the fuel inlet Carb cleaner

Failing that, remove all the linkages then remove the carb and clean.

Tis common for a vehicle that hasn't been used a great deal - and a good 'learner' for the new owner ;-)

  • honestly - purcussive maintenance works well on a 101
Reply to
Mother

Answered elsewhere, but yes, I reckon so. Not serious and sort of to be expected.

The neighbours have a very worried look on their faces at present. I'm thinking of it as a softener for when the Vampire arrives...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:37:56 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

oh yes indeedy. nothing like it.

and then you can have fun checking that they're synchronised :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:26 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I much prefer SUs to Strombergs, meself, having had both kinds although not on a V8.

Mind, on bikes I like the kind of slide carb where the cable pulls the slide directly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, ready for the V8 and gearbox then Martyn ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor