Vibrations in Discovery

Has anybody got any ideas. I have a series 1 TDi discovery which intermittently develops a vibration over 100 km per hour through the steering wheel I have replaced wheels and tyres, shock absorbers, steering damper & tie rod ends but still have the vibration. the strange thing is some days its not there at all, other times its violent, but you can drive through it by increasing speed. Help!!!

Reply to
Chris Baker

Hello Rich, long time no speak

Damian

Reply to
My90

I had the same problem and it only went away when I checked the pre load in the swivels (and filled them with one shot and regreased the bearings) and at the same time I took a bit of play out of the steering box..

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

"done" = replaced?

Reply to
David French

done = removed hub and chrome ball bit, replaced all seals and set up swivel pre load as per workshop manual. Richard

Reply to
Richard

How easy? What tools? Does it still weep?

I'm wondering whether replacing just the seals on mine would make much difference, or whether the whole swivel would be a better bet. But it's not pressing, yet.

David

Reply to
David French

very easy to do. u need a decent socket set and spanners. large hub spanner (for wheel bearing nuts). spring balance (from fishing tackle shop) to set up pre load. wheel bearing grease etc. It doesnt weep at the mo but i'll let u know if it does (and i'll be rather pi**ed off if it does) Richard

Reply to
Richard

David, you could drain out the oil & replace with this grease stuff, that sometimes cures a mild weep. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB