306 Water in Fuel Warning Light

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a 306 TD and i am having a few problems. The first on is i have just started getting a water in fuel warning light appear.

Does anyone know how this can be resolved?

The other problem i having is whenever i break the entire car shudders, i have had the break discs and pads replaced but doesn't seem to have made much difference. Any ideas?

Reply to
mjmiller

as to water in fuel...drain tank / check fule for water you will see it flowting on top of the diesel if this so dump it..if no sign of water put it back but what ever the case change fuel filter as to the brakes could be distortion or excessive wear on drums or caliper mounting bolts loose suspension or steering have excessive wear mountings broke or if fitted anti lock braking system at fault (check first)

Reply to
blackknight

You what?! I know diesel is classed as "heavy oil" for UK taxation purposes but it ain't that heavy. Diesel floats on water, that's why the drain on the fuel filter housing is at the bottom.

Reply to
Phil Cook

The warning light just means there is too much water in the diesel filter under the bonnet. Diesel apparently quite often gets water in it and the filter is there to, well, filter it out.

I've never quite learned how to deal with this, but the theory is you open a little nylon valve at the bottom of the filter (yes water is heavier) and push the pumper thing until you have expelled the water from the filter into a container.

On my 405 the little nylon valve is hell to get at and it's best to unbolt the filter mounting by the battery so you can raise it a bit.

My garage just changes the filter assembly and cleans it ready for the next customer. In france you can buy them in the hypermarkets.

The warning light sensor on the filter can become faulty and costs £60 (must be at least £1.50 to make) so it's worth plugging and unplugging the connector a few times in case you just have a bad contact.

Cheers, A

Reply to
Wichita

Change the fuel filter - undo four bolts lift the old filter out, insert new one tighen screws you will now need to prime the pump - look for a rubber 'pressy in' thing, it looks like one of these pressy things that we use to have on our push bikes years ago (the horn).

last of all look for a water bleeder around the fuel filter, start engine and undo for about 20/30 seconds retighen -----------job done till next time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill