what if...

what would be the effect of my plumbing my heater blower into my air filter so it blows air into the engine?

just a thought...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Reduction in efficiency. See "Carnot cycle": thermodynamics. The engine will see a smaller differential between its inlet and outlets. This translates to a loss of efficiency. Hot air is less dense, so the engine will see less oxygen in a gievn volume of air.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mr.Nice. at snipped-for-privacy@-nospam-clara.co.uk wrote on 29/6/04 8:26 pm:

Milk and cookies kept you awake...? ;-)

Reply to
d.sillitoe

I haven't done the calculations, but I would imagine that the amount of air your engine needs to suck in (2.5 litres 4000 times per minute) would be well above what your heater could supply. So it would simply act as an obstruction to the air flow.

Now if you can get it to spin at 30000 rpm (or whatever it is) like a proper turbo....

... it still won't work....

;-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Not really a turbo. More a super. Google for Amherst Villiers Blower for more ideas that are too dangerous to consider....

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Just a thought would NoS work on a diesel ( Nitrous Oxide ), works in a petrol engine but the diesel cycle is different is it not ????

Reply to
Hirsty's

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul S. Brown expelled:

I haven't tried one on a Rover but they really wake up the Holden V8's.

Reply to
EMB

In news:fVmEc.60$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net, Hirsty's expelled:

Only if you could get a whole load more fuel in at the same time - and with the high compression of a diesel you'd probably blow little bits of engine block all over the countryside.

Reply to
EMB

Ah right so not a good idea :-)

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:26:43 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

assum sod-all.

I once worked out how much air is flowing through a 2-litre engine doing

2000 rpm (the figures are chosen to make the sums easy) in terms of litres per minute, and then consider that blowers are normally rated in cfm, and there are 27 litres to a cf, and that to increase the power from the engine, you need to get more mass of oxygen into it - in terms of blowing air in, this means that you have to blow air in faster than it's arriving naturally; I daresay calculating just how much air is a more difficult proposition.

I leave the numerical solution as an exercise for the reader :-)

but in fact, all the heater blower will do is create an obstruction in the airflow...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:31:09 +1200, "EMB" enlightened us thusly:

Blimey. I know Oz$ are not as big as you'd think, but at close to 6K, I doubt I'll be doing that to mine in the foreseeable future.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It should work - extra fuel is probably just a matter of adjusting the injection system, whether mechanical or computer controlled. Of course, if you overdo it you could have problems, but the effect is the same as turbocharging the engine, which can also cause problems, just adding more oxidising potential to burn more fuel per cycle. JD

Reply to
JD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles expelled:

That's only 2200 quid - cheap!! ;-)

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:28:55 +1200, "EMB" enlightened us thusly:

bloody vehicle only cost me 1800...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It might not do the engine much good, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. You'd need to turn the fuelling up to take advantage of it, and that would be the problem -- a diesel might not so easily take into account such a short-term boost.

Reply to
David G. Bell

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles expelled:

I know what you mean - buying new tyres for my latest acquisition is likely to cost me almost half of the cost of the whole (road legal) vehicle.

Reply to
EMB