What size wheels and tyres?

Hi all! I'm going to the National 4x4 show at Trentham at the end of the month and was hoping to big up some BF Goodrich AT's or MT's, but I would like to fit wider wheels (purely for looks I admit!), can anyone advise me on any larger size of steel white 8 spoke wheels and BF Goodrich's that I need to fit to my K reg 110CSW? Its currently on standard 16" steel wheels with Avon Rangemaster 7.50R16's. Or can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to the BF Goodrich's? Thanks in advance. Ian.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

I've run on a second hand set of Goodrich AT's 265/75R16's for three years and the tread is still very much in evidence. I like them because I do about 20 thousand miles a year, mainly on road and they grip a lot better than mud terrains on the road. The wider tyres also obviously put more rubber on the road.

I bought a couple of new tyres recently through a private advertisement in Loot .com on line and the 8 spoke wheels for them cose £25 each. Another option is the steel wheels for early discos, which fit perfectly and frequently turn up in free ad papers as people buy alloys.

I only live about a mile from Craddocks, so I'll probably go to Trentham on Saturday. If you want to see what these tyres look like on a 110, look out for a green 110 with a Hannibal Rooftent and Doom Trader on the front wings on the car park. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Thanks for the replies... I like the height of the Avons. Are the BF's the same height? Also, are there any issues with the weight of a 110CSW and the 8 spoke wheels?

Reply to
Ian Symonds

Somewhere on the web there is a very good comparison chart, but I'm buggered if I can remember how I found it. Basically, the height difference if you put one against the other is negligible, but what I found did increase the height from the road is changing the springs, which I didn't realise were so low until I fitted new standard springs.

The two main things to remember with changing tyre sizes is that you may affect the limit of articulation, restricting the land rover's ability to deal with more severe terrain and that changing tyre sizes will affect your speedo.

According to my GPS, my speedometer reads high by about 5 M.P.H. at 70 M.P.H. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Sorry, I forgot to mention the weight issue. My 110 regularly goes round fully loaded with kit and people and I've never had a wheel collapse on me yet. Having said which, I would fit original steel wheels if I was going for a long overland journey, because they are stronger, easier to find in third world countries and easier to hammer straight. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Reply to
Neill Campbell