Why don't politicians like 4x4's

which is still a huge waste of time anyway....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, ready for sale! Make me an offer! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

Spoken like a true, bitter, ex-101 owner...

Reply to
Mother

I take your point, although if that were to happen, I doubt if Land Rover as a business would last a year. If it wasn't for the Disco, and latterly the Freebie (the vast majority of which I would guess are never used off road), LR would have gone down the pan years ago.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:39:04 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

's all just more smoke and mirrors, anyway. summat else fro the plebs to focus their attention on rather than criticise the govermint for making a pig's ear of things.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You're quite right. The Argentinians don't seem likely to oblige them by invading this time around, so they are having to make something up. Foxes and 4x4's are the bandwagons at the moment. After the considerable success (ahem) of the handgun ban, it has been decided that banning responsible driving of 4x4's will stop people from driving them in a way which is already illegal, or worse, annoying to people who don't like them.

If we carry on long enough, we will all be legally required to ramble, cuddle foxes and grow beards to fit in with the norm. On the plus side, we will then only have people with stupid voices and big teeth to victimise, and the Janet Street-Snorter will have to be culled with hounds.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Ban 4x4s and I'm going to go and give my trade to Alvis or GKN. After all, a Saracen is 6x6, not 6x6.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:49:14 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

I think you mean 4x4.

Too, I cam make a fortune building 6x6 discos... or maybe "converting" them to 2WD...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ban 4x4s and I'm going to go and give my trade to Alvis or GKN. After all, a Saracen is 6x6, not 4x4.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I'll fecking have you for that y' know...

More to the point, Charlotte n my neighbours'll kin have you for that...

(I did measure a Stolly to see, once... quite quickly y' understand)

Reply to
Mother

I did indeed mean 4x4. "Converting" - interesting phrase for jamming the difflock on and removing the front propshaft, or possibly starting a market for FWHs for Discos. (Only two wheels being driven ossifer, it's a 2WD).

Of course, with the swingeing laws this bunch of clowns keep chucking out they could end up getting rid of a lot more cars than they were planning on.

All Subarus for example.

Any modern performance super sports.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd personally support a separate license classification for offroad capable vehicles. It would certainly remove a lot of the muppets who get us bad names from the hills.

Come to think of it, howsabout a separate classification for any car over

1900cc Only achievable once you have held a clean licens for 3 years and are over 21. Yet again, would stop a lot of the dickheads I see around who get their licenses and go and get a 15 year old 520 BMW and drop the suspension, paint it electric pink and go around deafening people.

And a requirement for a council issued public events license for any car audio system rated to deliver more than 75W of bass.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Many of us do, often, on usenet...

I'm about to go cuddle a really foxy babe, as it happens...

OI! Who're you callin' NORMAL???

What a nice comforting thought to go happily to bed with (when HHGTTG is finsihed, obviously...)

Reply to
Mother

Ooooooh, that's looooowwww.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

And so is a Scammel explorer, drive right over the top of your saracen any day :)

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

On or around Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:07:08 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

now *that* I like.

as to the rest, well, a 2-stage licence as per bikes would be a nice idea. But I can't see it happening.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Hirsty's writes

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On or around Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine enlightened us thusly:

Harry? is that you?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Careful, I could do without overt shocks to the system on a Friday morning Austin...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:43:28 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

sorry, shed joke. There used to be blank messages from "Harry Marsh", we never found out who he was, now any time someone posts a blank message...

speaking of 'tother "Harry", you heard anything more? 's all gone very quiet here, bar from a letter a bit back from solicitors who apparently were representing him, requesting information I didn't have.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, 't reminds me, I've several thousand unread posting a la sheddi to mark as read ;-)

Currently being paid for by the rest of us to have a nice secure holiday. Long may it continue - at least summat positive is comin' from mi taxes at last...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:29:36 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

last I heard was that he was awaiting trial, wondered if there was any further news, that's all. I was aware of his secure holidaying. Not seen anything in the local rag, but then again, you can't actually rely on the local rag to print what you want to read...

Reply to
Austin Shackles