Wipac 100w driving lamps.

On my D1, there is a cable & connector for the driving lamps, there are none fitted, the switch is there etc.

Can i run the above lamps from the outputs on the D1?

They are going on a light bar on the front bumper, I'm gonna have to cut off the connectors & get some soldering & sealer to make it waterproof, but looks easy enough.

Owt I'm missing?

Reply to
Nige

You'll be sucking a fairly hefty 16 amps there, may be better to wire through a relay direct from battery, or similar high current connection, suitably fused of course. The wiring in the loom may only be designed for 55w bulbs.

As with all electrics, if in doubt, don't, or at least get it thoroughly checked afterwards.

Reply to
SimonJ

The cable on the car is thicker than the spotlamps!

I have no problem with electrics, but car electrica are like voodoo to me!

Reply to
Nige

Definately use a relay Nige, switched from the main beam feed but drawing direct from the battery.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

It's got one! Found it this morning & wondered what it was!

Reply to
Nige

In article , Nige writes

Good. Bear in mind though that the common 10 Amp ones are too small for this application, although you could use one for each side (see below for why).

Now check for solid earth(s). If there isn't one, make one with heavy gauge wire, pref. straight back to the battery strap terminal. If a single wire is inconvenient (and it needs to be about 4mm CSA for best results), several smaller ones will do. The lower the circuit resistance (cables connectors & relays), the brighter the lamps and the less everything else heats up (and the longer it lasts therefore).

At a nominal 200W (two lamps) your circuit will be pulling 16.6A (substantially more at switch-on!), giving a warm bulb resistance of only 1.44 Ohms (each). This isn't much. IIIRC, 4 Ohms in a house earth circuit used to be acceptable!, and it means the actual circuit resistance matters a lot - get it as low as possible.

HTH.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:53:01 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

dunno where you find 10A relays, most of the common or garden automotive ones I see are either 20A or 30A.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

May just be me then - I've found several in the garage recently that are

10A -- probably why they're still there!

All the rest still applies though...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to