Fog lamps and Driving Lamps Question

Going to swap my standard Ford Escort front bumper for one with the fog light holes, this is a genuine Ford front Bumper minus the lights, now my wife wants the lights in, but I was wondering is it possible to set these up to be drive lights for night time driving, high beam only rather then fog lights.

This will save me wiring the damm things into the dash, as I intend to wire them into the main beam wiring.

Really I guess what I am asking is what is the difference between fog lights and driving lights so that I can modify the lights.

TIA

Gecko

Reply to
Gecko

If you make them driving lights then it doesnt really matter what the light is doing as it will go off with main beam and therefore will never blind anyone

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Why exactly? Fog lights help you see in the fog, and driving lights help you see in the dark. Are indicators and brake lights for tossers too?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

And being located in the bumper, they'll be bloody useless ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Completely agree, but thats not what Geoff said. And what have driving lights got to do with anything? By definition they cant be on all the time

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I don't think you need to argue the point... it's obvious who the real tosser in this thread is... :-P

Whats wrong with just answering someone's question instead of assuming they just want the lights to look cool? Did he say that? No, he said his wife wants the lights in, did he say why? No. Why call someone a tosser just for asking a question?

Ollie

-- Webmaster:

Ollie

if you put driving lamps so low they will not be very efficient, driving lamps (esp most modern projection beam types) need a bit of height to throw light forwards. so reality is the bumper holes are best suited to being for fog lamps..

HTH

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

Citroen AX GT, as well. And they were useless. On undulating roads they didn't light up anything past the next bump.

Reply to
Chris

Or, even better - stick some ducting behind to feed cold air to the brakes.....

Reply to
SteveH

Those are driving lights? I'd assumed they were foglights. Never owned an AX GT, so hadn't realised!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Ditto with the 205s. After having a 309 SRi with a fog light switch i was most puzzled (well for about 10 seconds) when the 205 Dturbo didnt have one, but had the same looking lights in the front valance.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Exactly what i'm doing to mine! Know a good place to get some strong ducting type stuff from?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ollie

B&Q.

Or failing that, your local A1 Motorstore will sell some flexible silver pipe (meant for exhausts) that works just fine.

Reply to
Nom