You know it's going to be a bad day when.....

...you take your 3.5 RR Classic into a garage to have a water leak looked at and the technician comes back and says "Was it an oil leak, water leak or power steering leak you wanted looked at?"

The PS leak is seepage from the steering box and as such a low priority for me (this car is going to do at most another 2000 miles in the next 6 months).

The oil and water leaks are a shot valley gasket.

Looks like that's my Sunday gone.

The removal bit looks easy enough. I'm not looking forward to reconnecting all the ancilliaries afterwards though.

Anybody got any suggestions/shortcuts I should know about for this one. I'm about to go and buy a couple of fan heaters so I stand some chance of still being conscious by the time I've finished stripping all this crud off the engine.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Good luck! Nothing mechanical, but I'd highly recommend getting a set of gore-tex overalls from Anchor Supplies (probably too late for this current job, they will be handy for the next, though!).

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:33:07 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" made me spill my meths by writing:

I suppose a digi camera for before and after references :) There is a matt finish "invisible" sellotape that is useful for labelling hoses and cables, it has a matt finish that can be written on in biro.

Thermals make a big difference as well to working outside in the cold, especially if heaving yourself over cold bodywork, engine parts or laying down on concrete etc.

Halogen lamps can be useful, a couple pointing down into the engine bay give good brilliant light and, as long as you don't catch your ear n one, ask me how I know) they offer some heat. Persuading SWMBO to keep a regular supply of tea or coffee helps.

I gave up with the idea of EVER working outside in the cold EVER again. Start off with good intentions but 10 mins of handling cold tools and cold chassis bits soon changes that :)

I have one of those small propane space heaters, like a mini jet engine :) We used it once when working outside in the cold under a Range Rover. It worked brilliantly but was most effective when plonked about 6 foot away and the blast directed underneath the Range Rover. Lovely and toasty. Too fierce for inside the garage though, either sweating or freezing, depending where you stand.

But, it could be worse, it could be cold and wet.

Reply to
Wayne Davies