ES330 transmission lag problem

This transmission lag problem is now bothering me. I didnt notice it at first, but yesterday for the first time, and while i was in a middle of a left turn, the Lexus hesitated for about 2 seconds. Almost got hit. I called Lexus dealership and they tell me if I use premium gas this problem will go away. They said the 2004 models have the latest programming, and there is nothing they can do. I just checked nhtsa and there are like 100 reports of this problem, ranging from the new RX 330s, LS 430s and ES 330s. Does anyone know if Lexus intends on fixing this problem? I am now seriously thinking about trading it in (and losing money on it) and getting something not as quirky. However, I would hold off a few months if something was going to fix it. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I'd be surprised if running premium gas made any difference, but it's worth a try, right? Or, have others been running premium and still have the problem? It sounds like the kind of BS one often gets from dealer salespeople.

Reply to
L Cramer

I've been running with premium fuel since I bought my 2002 ES, it has made no difference. The characterization of the 2 second lag during a left turn exactly matches the behavior I have experienced. I had the new ECU software installed in September 2003, and it should be the same that is in the current ES models. The new software fixed the highway-speed lag, but introduced a much more dangerous slow speed lag.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I guess it will take someone to get killed to get this noticed by NHTSA... unbelievable!! What ever happened to Lexus quality.... I guess for now I will use my ES330 for short grocery runs... gonna use the 4 Runner as the daily driver... I am hoping this gets resolved...

Reply to
Dan J. S.

Ah yes ... the ol "squeezing the balloon" trick. Squeeze it more here ... it pops out more over there! LOL

"The Cable is Mightier than the Servo"

Reply to
Philip®

I wonder if what everyone is referring to as transmission lag is actually not a problem with the transmission but rather a problem with the electronic throttle control or maybe the ECM computer ?

I have an 03 GS 300 which has a "flat spot" or hesitation when gently accelerating from a stop. The flat spot occurs before the car shifts out of first gear. For those old enough to remember, it feels like what you used to get if the accelerator pump on a carbureted car was bad. Funny thing is it does not happen when the car is cold, which makes me think it has something to do with the ECM computer leaning out the mixture as the car warms up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or fixes for the GS 300? Do you think I am having the same problem that the owners of ES 330's are having, or is this something different?

Steve

Reply to
sf/gf

I can repeat the problem 100% of the time when I do a "rolling stop". That is, if I slow to under 10mph then give it gas, it will idle for a couple of seconds, then gas will kick in hard. Some have characterized it that the computer is confused about what to do, and I think that's pretty accurate. I think they tried so hard to squeeze fuel economy and provide a smooth ride that they created a gap in functionality for the computer in that driving pattern.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Lately, I've taken to shifting down as I come to a stop, when the speed or road condition warrants it, or anytime I want a little extra control, at least when I think of it. Kind of defeats the purpose of an auto, but at least I don't get the lag if I need to get on the gas in a hurry. I find I have better control over the car.

First I click the O/D button on the gearshift lever to go into solid third, then I pull back and downshift into second. I usually don't go all the way to first, though in stop and go traffic I might. I don't shift down so early that my tires take a beating, but I probably do save my brakes, a little.

I usually drive around town with overdrive off anyway.

Reply to
RR

I've been doing a bit of that myself, and you're right, it defeats the purpose of an automatic. My downshift results have been mixed though.

Reply to
Steve Larson

My question is this: Can this topic be possibly beat to death anymore than it has already been? I think not.

Reply to
Ice

thanks, troll

Reply to
Steve Larson

Reply to
RJM

Not until it is fixed. Hopefully it will make someone think before buying a new Lexus. Reviews on edmunds.com are already getting on board with this issue. Lexus is selling automobiles that could kill people and Lexus is doing nothing about it.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

You may have something there. You'd think guys with the kind of folding money or credit these whining Lexus people have would have wised up ... sold the technopile .... and bought a Corolla. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

Sagging sales and bad publicity hits 'em in the poccabook!

Reply to
Philip®

Sounds like some poor jeolous sap who can only afford a Corolla. He constantly has to validate his insecure status by bashing Lexus Owners.

Believe me he would rather be driving a new ES330 with hesitation and all over his little starter car.

Murphy

Reply to
Murphy

Hey Steve, I'm here all the time and I'm not a troll. You must have me confused with yo funky stick assed momma

Reply to
Ice

Sour grapes, Murphy. I've learned that less is better and usually less trouble.

I would NOT prefer to drive any more prestige cars, thank you very much. I've had my share and they were a constant source of hypertension when in heavy traffic or when parked in a lot, to say nothing of the escalated repair prices.

Reply to
Philip®

"...stick assed momma?" Her friends call her Milk Truck.

Reply to
Philip®

lol , I meant to say stink assed momma you know the kind that goes to Costco warehouse club and buys Summers Eve by the case for the Milk Truck ass, lol

Reply to
Ice