'05 Tacoma Lift and Tires

I recently got an '05 Tacoma SR5. I've been saving for one since I was 14, now I'm 18. Currently everything is stock. I've been thinking
about getting a 3" ToyTec lift, and putting on 33" BFGoodrich All Terrains. My Dad says I will need a longer drive shaft if I do. Is he correct? If so, why? Also, my stock tires are 265/70 R-16 and the 33" BFGs are 285/70 R-17. Will the BFGs be able to fit on my Toyota rims? I didnt think so until I saw a picture of an 05 Tacoma on CarDomain.com that had 33" BFGs on Toyota rims. Now I'm not sure, any help would be great.
I don't know that yoru Pop is right or not, but assuming he is right, here's why.
The distance from the transmission (or transfer case if 4WD) is a set distance. If you raise the vehicle, then you stretch this distance. The output of the transmission (or tcase), or the driveshaft itself, has a coupling that is splined to allow for the axle to move up and down, effectively changing the needed lenght of the driveshaft. When you raise the vehicle, then you are stretching the driveshaft while the vehicle is at rest, and when the axle drops for any reason, then the drive shaft will stretch a bit more and come apart.
The longer driveshaft overcomes the affect of raising the vehicle.
My calculations say that a 285/70x16 is only 31.709" inches, making it a 32" tire. You need a 285/75x16 to get a 33" tire. I don't quite understand why you wouldn't simply get a 33x9.50x16, or whatever.
I feel the need to tell you that you might need to get new gears for your differential(s). The new tires are considerably taller than the stock tires, and this will alter the final drive ratio -- severly reducing power. It will also alter your speedo calibration. A new gear set will fix the power issues by bringing the drive ratio back into line, and probably fix the speedo calibration at the same time. You might need to get a new speedo gear for the transmission (or tcase) to correct the speedo calibration, but this is a very cheap part.

I don't think going from a 31 to a 33 tire is that big a deal. I have an 03 2.7L that came with stock 225's! Before I got the truck, I knew I had to get bigger/better tires than those Dunlops. I too was concerned about going to a 31 (265) that the V6 Tacos came with. But I did, 31 BFG AT's. Besides having to gear down to 4th occasionally on a steep hill, I don't have any complaints at all. My speedo is out, but not by much.
Now, a 3in lift is different. If I recall, you might be able to get away with a 2in lift without having to modify your driveshaft. But for 3in, I would investigate that option more closely.

It't not the tires that cause his concern, it's his lift kit.

Thanks for all the great answers and helpfull advice. I'm still learning since this is my first truck, I figured the only way to get an asnwer was to ask. :)

Can't help with the lift questions, but my Tacoma came with BFG AT tires. They absolutely SUCKED in snow. I don't mean sometimes, or only when the roads were more slippery than usual. I mean ALL THE TIME. Something to consider if it snows where you live. At your age, you don't need any quirky variables to deal with.

Crap! I didn't need to hear that! I'm going to be picking up my '06 Tacoma tonight . . . and I live in Ontario. I hope Toyota Canada has a more weather-appropriate tire on the Tacoma line up here.

If you can change them to Nokian WR tires, you'll be happy. They're snow-rated all season tires. Not quite a true snow tire, but I like mine. And, they've not left me stranded in mud, or on extremely slippery boat launching ramps.
I too can attest to the fact my BFG AT's on 16in alloy rims suck in snow because they are a wide tire and the Taco is a light truck (03 2.7L). I kept the stock rims and 225 tires for winter...night and day difference.

Enar wrote:

It depends on which BFG Tire.
I've heard mixed snow reviews on the Long Trails that came on my '05, but mine haven't seen snow yet. They can't be as bad as the Goodyear Wranglers or Firestone Wilderness AT's that came stock on Wrangler and Outback. The Wilderness AT's made a manual tranny'd AWD Subaru Outback, arguably one of the best snow cars ever, lame. The Goodyear Wranglers were OK until about the 5000'th mile, then they sucked totally. A JEEP that sucked in snow, imagine that! <G>
The BFG AT KO's I've put on other vehicles (including the Jeep) have been outstanding in snow.
A JEEP

Why are Jeeps terrible in the snow? I have had many neighbors that can't get their Jeep out of their driveway after a storm and have had to shovel them out. I think the only thing Jeep has going for it is the 4WD. The interior space is horrendously small and it's reliability is third from the bottom of all vehicles. Only Cadillac and Corvette are worse.

Per my mechanic, Jeeps are for people who enjoy diagnosing electrical problems - lots of them, eventually.
Doug Kanter wrote:

The '99 TJ I have now loses the entire instrument cluster at times. If I push on cluster in the vicinity of the airbag light, it all comes right back. It's vehicle character! <G>
Jeeps are fun! Think no doors, no top, driving slow, etc... My Tacoma is for actual practical use.
Bob Palmer wrote:

They aren't terrible in the snow, unless they have the wrong tires on them. Your neighbors also probably have automatic transmissions, stock tires, and no limited slip or locker. They're "girlie" Jeeps.
Without the right options, the low gearing and available torque make them incredibly easy for an inexperienced driver to dig them in, DEEP!

Have you ever driven one on the beach, with the doors and top off? Have you ever seen the aftermarket part selection for them? <G>
I think of them as 4WD Harleys. But then again, I'm a mechanical type of guy...
The Harley factory is 10 miles from my house in PA, so everybody has to have a Harley. The problem is, they spend more time in the garage being fixed than on the road-however, I do agree it is a status symbol. I have a 100MPG Honda Scooter that keeps on going with just oil changes.

Bob Palmer wrote:

I don't know if I'd call a 7 year old Wrangler a "status symbol". <G>
The Scooters great for basic transportation. I don't think a Harley or a Wrangler was ever intended as basic transportation.

8 zillion soccer mommies can't be wrong. Or, maybe they can. :)
Doug Kanter wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.
At least in my area, soccer moms are big on the Suburban, Tahoe, Liberty, Pathfinder, 4Runner, Trail Blazer, Grand Cherokee, etc... They're not all that into 2 door vehicles with lousy back seats, bad stereos, and terrible crash test ratings.
There's quite a difference between a Wrangler and those.

Oh yeah...it was the Cherokee I was thinking of. Oops.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Done checking pickups for loads today?