Lexus 2000 Master Key Remote ES300

Anyone know what kind of battery this key takes and how to open it?

Thanks

Reply to
mary

Ray O

Not sure what type of battery, the key is opened by removing the small Phillips head screw in the key head.

Reply to
Ray O

Huh? What screw? Don't see any....unless the gold Lexus logo has to be pried off first to reveal it.

Guess a 1999 ES300 should have its seven-year-old key batteries replaced before they fail. If that's done, does the key have to be reprogrammed or have its frequency set?

Thank you.

Reply to
Nelson

My 2000 LS 400 key has a small Phillips head screw on the same side of the key as the gold Lexus logo, right above where the blade enters the fob. If there is no screw holding the key together, look for a scalloped edge where the key can be pried apart.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray......took it to the Toyota dealer and they replaced the battery for me at a cost of 4.50. However, I believe the remote key is going bad because it does not work all the time....hit and miss and the Toyota guy said as much too after testing it.

He said if it quits working altogether I will have to take it to a Lexus dealer (120 miles away) and get a new one made for around 300.00 or so......great!!

They don't last long, do they?

Mary

Reply to
Mary

The remotes for our '97 Avalon is now 9 years old and working without any problems.

if the buttons do not seem to work, take the fob apart and wipe the back of the button and the contacts on the circuit board with a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol or tuner cleaner. This process works with remotes with rubberized buttons.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Ray. These keys have no screw, even under the pried-off logos. The junction of the two halves has no place to insert even the finest blade. It looks like these keys (1999 ES300) were not meant to come apart.

Perhaps I'll follow Mary's example and seek out a Toyota dealer. Maybe they have some specialized disassembly tools. Thanks again.

Reply to
Nelson

You're welcome and good luck!

Reply to