Rear Window Replacement

I made a stupid mistake today, and failed to close the back upper window/door on my 2000 Explorer before I backed out of the garage. It hit part of the garage door and shattered. Ford quotes about $650, parts and labor, to replace it.

How does that compare to what any of you have spent to have the same thing done (replace upper glass door/window)?

Reply to
CWLee

You could probably do better if you went to an auto glass shop.

Reply to
Mikepier

If he can, he should post price, fit and finish and satisfaction....

Privacy glass and defroster can add a premium to the pricing.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I made that same mistake about ten years ago. Glass at that time was "only" about $400 from Ford. I found a local place that would sell it to me for about $150, and I got to install it. Installation wasn't a big deal, but...

The shattering glass managed to do some scarring on the paint on the uper rear hatch section. I ended up doing the touch-up on that myself.

The old glass bits found their way into places where I didn't even know there were places. I spent an hour just vacuuming little glass bits out of eveything behind the driver's seat. Lift a carpet edge, there was glass. I remember vacuuming a lot more glass out than there was swinging on the rear lid. Yaers later I would still find little glass bits when cleaning the car. Amazing!

I had a window in a rear door broken by the hostile ex-BF of a girl I met just once. This was the fixed window in a rear door. Glass place quoted a big number because they thought insurance was going to pay, and also because they said they needed to take the door apart to get the broken glass out. Door didn't need to come apart, so that saved a bit. We negotiated for cash, and that really brought the price down a lot more. Morals: Don't boink a girl without checking her past, and nogotiate for cash. Two different morals...

dr bob

"CWLee" wrote:

Reply to
dr bob