Toyota dealer working on a Lexus

I spoke to the local Toyota dealer, and I understand that they can work on just about anything on my 2000 ES300 except anything related to the Engine Warning lights. They say they have the resources to handle those issues too, but I learnt that under some kind of "agreement" with Lexus, only the higher-priced Lexus dealership service departments are allowed to work on matters related to those warning lights.

Any good reason for that, or just another Lexus annoyance?

Reply to
Iona Camry

The reason is that only Lexus dealers are authorized to perform warranty repairs on Lexus cars. And typically only Lexus dealers have the full range of service manuals, diagnostic tools, training, etc. Now since there is a lot of commonality between Toyota and Lexus, most Toyota dealers can do most things. But it is company policy that only Lexus dealers are authorized to perform all repairs.

It is the same with Acura/Honda, Infiniti/Nissan, etc. and the car industry in general - only dealers of that particular make are authorized to perform all services.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Apparently, the full range of service manuals, diagnostic tools, training, etc did not help my Lexus Dealer explain why I had a half-day episode of Malfunction Indicator Lamp + "TRACTION OFF" warning light on my 2000 ES 300. Could it be possible that the Lexus Computer is now too complicated for even the Lexus mechanics to understand?

(I have received more helpful info from this newsgroup than from any Lexus Service Consultant I have spoken to)

Reply to
Iona Camry