Which one would you buy, a GS 430 or a LS 430?

Hi I owned a GS 300, now sorely missed. I crashed it, and I am coming back to Lexus.All the other brands pale in comparison. I have the choice between a second hand GS 430 and a second hand LS 430. I know the numbers, the figures, the gas mileage , the acceleration times....What I do not have are real owner experiences. How does it feel to drive one of these cars?. In relation to the LS, can you drive them fast without going all over the road?. What are the pros and cons of the air suspension? Are maintenance costs similar? And, finally, is the GS quicker and faster than the LS in real life situations? Which car would you drive at 110 mph for 2 hours on a German autobahn? Thanks.

Reply to
Enrique Quijano

If you are only going to drive 110 mph on the autobahn, you will be blown away by just about everything else. Volkswagens, Citreons, hell even a Ford Taurus can run that fast. You won't even see the fast cars.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry

The LS is a very quiet car and quite effortless to drive. If you are not paying attention, it is very easy to end up well over the speed limit. The air suspension is pretty soft, even on the sport setting, and the tendency is towards understeer. I wouldn't characterize the LS as a sporty car.

I haven't driven a GS 430, but I suspect that it is sportier than the LS.

Reply to
Ray O

I knew it would come to this. I do drive fast on the autobahn, it is only an hour away from Brussels, and I regularly have to work in Germany. 140 mph in my Lexus GS300 were common speeds, roughly 230 kmh. I indicated 110 mph as a reference speed.I know Lexus can drive much faster than that. And even if you would drive 155 mph on the autobahn, quite a few cars would still leave you behind. On the other hand, submit a Taurus or a Citroen to a weekly run of 2 hours at 110 mph for a couple of months , and they would not take long to come undone. Unlike a Lexus.

Reply to
Enrique Quijano

Reply to
Aluckyguess

Well I can not help with the LS 430 but on the GS's I might be of some help. We have a 98 GS 300 which has about 75K miles on it. It is used mainly for trips but with some around town driving. I have driven 2 GS 400, 430 and I don't see much difference except for the 7-10K increase in price and a couple of seconds faster to 80 mph. The LS's I have ridden in seam not to have the edge the GS's have in handling etc. Please let us know what you decide and why.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." --Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
KG

Thank you for your answer May I ask what an earth is a Bonanza?

Reply to
Enrique Quijano

The Bonanza is an airplane made by Beechcraft.

Reply to
Ray O

Here's an older one. They're the top banana of the pri- vate aviation fleet, IMO. If you ever fly one, it's hard to return to anything else. Of course, Beech makes a variety of other planes also.

Anonymous

Hey, I thought all you EU guys were tree huggers? What are you doing wasting loads of fuel at such speeds?

Geo

Reply to
nopcbs

Hey Enrique!

I don't know about Tauruses, but I can vouch for Citroen and Renault as being good for the first 20,000 km, after that, look out, both makes will become money pits.... as far as speed, Autobahn or not, you better make it when there is virtually no traffic, because I would not want to come behind a 70 mph Citroen when I am doing 120 mph in ANY Car..........

Reply to
kitzler

No chance. There are much petrol heads here as anywhere else. But with fuel close to $10USD a gallon for Super unleaded we tend to try and make it last a little longer and enjoy it when we get the chance.

Reply to
Elder

I'd driven the LS, the more boxy one than the GS I mistakenly identified in a prior thread. These are well dolled-up and comfortable boats originally designed for the US market. But I don't consider either of them a performance sedan.

The LS's V8 engine is very powerful and smooth, but the suspension system is cheesy. The only Lexus with anything near a real performance suspension system is the small IS. But magazine reviewers call the system a bit on the harsh side.

I personally thought the GS and LS would both be road hazards on the autobahn. But if Citrons can run there you'll be fine. People's mileages obviously vary.

Reply to
johngdole

Yeah, people gripe about Germany's speed and the effects on the environment. I don't know, maybe the BMW experimental Hydrogen-7 can mitigate that: in the not so long future maybe.

Reply to
johngdole

So you've never driven a GS, but you don't consider it a performance sedan.

Do you still think the GS has Macpherson struts, as you've claimed previously? And do you consider yourself a suspension expert?

Btw, is the IS the Lexus model that you claim is based on a Corolla, or have you realized you were totally wrong about that too?

You've personally thought quite a few very ill-informed things about the Lexus line, so this comes as no surprise to anyone who's read any of your posts around here.

Reply to
DaveW

Tree huggers? Which country had a national speed limit of 55mph during 30 yrs? The US Which country has no speed limit over 60% of its freeway network? Germany. What is the average speed on US highways nowadays? Probably about 75 to 80 mph. Average speed on euriopean highways, exluding Germany: about 90 mph

Reply to
Enrique Quijano

Maybe some people consider a fast car a performance car. I don't. The GS I rode doesn't strike me as a performance sedan at all. Some reviewers consider the Infinity M a better performing car.

Yes, I was wrong about the IS *rear drive* platform. But it does look like a cheap Corolla from a distance.

Reply to
johngdole