2006 LS 430 Brake noise

How much noise should the brakes make on a new LS 430? When I back out of the garage, I hear a dragging sound. When I apply them at high speed there is a very clear rapid bumping sound, louder and faster with increasing speed. As I slow down to a stop, there is a kind of rumble and at the last the car sort of lurches before it stops. Is this normal? I do not think it is. The dealer says it is normal.

Is there a national place outside the dealer where I can get my brake shoes and rotors replaced without violating the warranty?

Thanks.

Reply to
mcbrue

When the car has been sitting overnight, it is not unusual to hear some noise on the first and/or second brake application, especially in a wet or humid environment. This is because some surface rust will form on the rotor, and the pads are rubbing the rust off.

The rapid bumping/rumbling sound upon high speed brake application is often accompanied by a corresponding rapid pulsation in the brake pedal and is the anti lock brake system activating. In addition to antilock brakes (ABS), the LS has brake assist. Here is an explanation from the Toyota web site:

"In emergencies, some drivers, especially inexperienced ones, often panic and do not apply sufficient pressure on the brake pedal. Brake Assist measures the speed and force with which the brake pedal is pushed to determine whether the driver is attempting an emergency stop. If the system determines that is the case, it applies additional brake pressure to allow the driver to take full advantage of the ABS brake system. When the driver intentionally eases up on the brake pedal, the system reduces the amount of assistance it provides. This feature comes with VSC."

As far as whether the condition you are experiencing is normal or not, I would ask the dealership if you can go on a road test in another car so they can demonstrate whether it operates the same way or not.

Reply to
Ray O

Problem is that the old Mercedes I just got out of had the same things on it and it did not make any such noises at any speeds. In fact, this is the first car I have noticed the "dragging noise while backing up in the morning" coming from. I like the idea of testing a similar car, except that they have no more LS430s in stock. This one was the last one in the US with any colors other than Black or Silver with Black interiors and those were scattered around from Texas to California. Also I got the PCS and Radar Cruise control and evidently they do not have many of those made for the US at all! But I am going to try this test driving thing. The one the dealer had for test driving definately did not have this noise, but it was a base model. I have held off asking some of my friends about this since it will require me explaining the situation and that will hurt the local dealer by creating talk and gossip.

Reply to
mcbrue

I do not know how old your Mercedes was, but while ABS has been around for

20 years or so, electronic brake assist is a much newer system and has not been around nearly as long, perhaps 7 or 8 years. What I think may be happening is that the brake assist is activating the ABS, and the ABS is what you are hearing. I've noticed that when I nail the brakes at highway speeds, the ABS kicks in more often in our 2 vehicles with brake assist than in all of our previous vehicles with ABS.

I am pretty sure that ABS and electronic brake assist are standard in the LS

430 so as long as your test vehicle has the same tires, you should get the same results if the condition you are experiencing is normal.
Reply to
Ray O

The noise comes before activation of the brake assist function. Faster the car is moving, the louder it is. And at slow speed, coming up to a stop sign in the neighborhood, it is also noticable, and just before it stops, it grabs and then releases. Yes, the antique Mercedes did have ABS and the high intensity brake mode, whatever you want to call it.

Reply to
mcbrue

What you are describing does not sound normal. I'd definitely go on that test ride!

Reply to
Ray O