XM Radio

Anyone have XM?

How much did it cost the dealer to install it?

A friend has Sirius and I think it is great. Just curiuos on others opinions.

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Reply to
Marc Chumney

XM is great. Once you get it you can't live without it. Not sure what Lexus is charging for dealer installs. But whatever it is, it is worth it. Would stick with XM, though; programming is much better IMO.

Reply to
frontmed

I use the XM SkyFi, and have for several years.

So, regarding the service: I'm about to drop it, due to the price increase coming April 2. I'll probably switch to Sirius. The amount of non-program material (read: commercials) on the non-music channels has risen dramatically over the past year or so, to ridiculous amounts.

I won't suffer that AND an increase in the monthly rate, thank you very much.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

material (read: commercials) on the non-music channels has risen dramatically over the past year or so, to ridiculous amounts.

There has been no increase in this material in the last year. And Sirius has much more of than XM does. At what will be the same price.

Your remarks have the ring of coming from one of those hundreds of thousands of Sirius shareholders.....

Reply to
frontmed

To integrate with the NAV system, its about 600 or so for parts and labor. You can have Circuit City install it for $100 that modulates over FM (hooks up physically into the antenna). That unit is $150 or so for a total of $250.

Personally I would recommend IPOD2car, and an IPOD. Then download bit torrent software like azureus and go to:

for all your music needs. Ipod2car plugs into any Toyota stereo and u can control your ipod from the steering wheel.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

torrent software like azureus and go to:

If you can tolerate such a limited selection of content. With XM, you have access to 2 million recorded tracks plus 40 or so channels of news/talk/sports content. The IPod is nice to carry a small collection of your own music around; but I find it far to limited for my taste.

Reply to
frontmed

Thanks for the info and confirming some of my own opinions.

The thing I really like about Sirius is the all Elvis station. How cool is that?! But what the hey, XM has the Grateful Dead Hour which I greatly miss since our local NPR station dropped it. We all have different musical taste . . .

Again thanks. I learn alot from this forum. Personally I'm very happy with my 2005 ES. Blue Shale Mica look really sharp. Thanks again.

Reply to
Marc Chumney

Man I love the King.

But how much is too much? Hard to say.

Reply to
frontmed

Well, I have a 40 gig version, and its almost full... i like XM.. I have it, but I find the same songs being played over and over... like on Country Highway 16... or the Mix... So I find I am less likely to hear the same song on my ipod in a random mode... and so now I listen to the IPOD more... plus with XM raising their price, I think I may cancel. I don't think radio should go above $10 a month. Because here in Chicago u can get basic cable for $14 (very very basic)...

BTW -- that bit torrent site is just latest one i found.. torrentspy.com has a larger and more up to date music selection...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

The problem with the Ipod is you have to know what you're looking for. With XM you get a constant stream of new material you would never hear if all you had was an Ipod. And it costs quite a bit less.

To each his own, however. XM is going to $13 a month, but it is still quite a bargain IMO. BTW you can prepay up to five years and get rates down to $8/month or something.

Reply to
frontmed

Thanks.. something to think about on the pre-payment plan...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Pardon me, but bullshit.

I've been listening--pretty extensively--for 3+ years now. I frequent XM 150, and I know of what I speak.

No. I'm a PISSED OFF XM subscriber who listens extensively to XM 150.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

XM 150, and I know of what I speak.

Pardon me, too. I've listened to XM 150 since Jan '01. There is scarcely more garbage on it than there was when I started.

Well, I listen more to music channels; but I do listen to 150 and have no complaints other than I think some of the comedy is un-funny. But you get that anywhere.

Reply to
frontmed

That's fine, as long as there's program material.

I've been listening to XM 150 extensively for a long, long time now--and I've noticed the amount of time for non-program material be as bad as any local Clear Channel commercial drive time AM station.

It started with that damn Wendi.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty