'02 Mondeo lights playing silly beggers.

Symptom 1:The brakelights come on with the headlights (side, dipped & full beam)

Symptom 2: When the headlights are off the sidelights (& brakelights) come on when the brake is used.

I thought at first I'd dislodged something when shifting furniture yesterday but apparently not.

Where should I be looking?

TIA

Reply to
Jeff Pickthall

Symptom 1:The brakelights come on with the headlights (side, dipped & full beam)

Symptom 2: When the headlights are off the sidelights (& brakelights) come on when the brake is used.

I thought at first I'd dislodged something when shifting furniture yesterday but apparently not.

Where should I be looking?

TIA

Reply to
Jeff Pickthall

Sometimes a stop/tail light bulb can fail internally causing a short between the two circuits. This would match your symptoms. Remove the stop/tail light bulbs one at a time and test to see if all then works normally. (Apart from the one you remove, obviously!)

Let the group know the outcome.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Jeff Pickthall ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Duff dual-filament tail/brake bulb, or a crappy earth to one cluster.

Reply to
Adrian

Earth on the rear clusters or the bulbs on the rear clusters. Take each brake/tail light bukb out until the brake pedal stops illuminating the sidelights, try a new bulb in that one & if that doesn't cure it check the earth to that cluster.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Almost certainly a faulty bulb. The two filaments in the brake/tail lights will have become fused in one of the clusters.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts