1.8L Duratorq TDCi noises?

Good. The clonk on mine turned out to be a worn mcpherson strut, it 'flexs' where the inner road leaves the lower part, it got much worse over a quite short period, and became very noticeable if you laboured the engine at low speed (must set up a vibration) Hard to spot with the spring on, very obvious with the leg apart. I have never come across worn engine mounts as such, but the one at the gearbox (sort of middle underneath) can wear out or just be loose, particularly if it has ever been off. That might be your clonk, it was on a mondeo the other week.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It is ... when a plan comes together. ;-)

The pulley on it's own only cost 25 quid delivered but in hindsight, the bearings in the mount also felt a tiny bit notchy so it might have made more sense to have changed the whole unit (for 65). That said, I think I'd still like to replace the bearings myself if it comes to it [1] ... still cheaper than a replacement and I can use SKF or similar bearings. ;-)

Understood. I did try to give everything a good pull but it's difficult to put sufficient force with it all assembled etc.

Ok, that may help us located it if ours does the same. ;-).

Understood.

Something to check then. I'm waiting for a slot on my mates 4-poster and we can have a good look underneath in general at that point.

You could be right MrC. The engine seems to move forward and back more than side_to_side as such so I was wondering if there was a mount further back to stop lateral movement (I mean I know there normally is but just that it might be that going soft etc). The rocking is defiantly pivoting *around* the o/s / top mount (rather than the inner moving in the outer as such).

Cheers, T i m.

[1] I have internal bearing pullers and a 10 tonne press to get them in and out. ;-)

While I was there I put some heavy gear oil into the space between the bearings (I just moved the spacer out of the way). If the seals have any gaps on them a bit of oil *might* work it's way into the bearing. ;-)

Reply to
T i m