12v auto jump start tool ... any good ?

Cool. Never heard of that before.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

On 21/12/10 21:00, Mrcheerful wrote: i again Dave :)

Could be interesting with a limited-slip diff?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

well thought of, but once again: brave and strong. or thick and determined. When AA/RAC is so cheap why on earth would anyone in the uk worry about it? Maintain the car, carry a cellphone and be in one of the breakdown services. all bases covered.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's what I replaced the std battery with in my E39. It now has a 96ah,

866 CCA one. About 12" long, and only just fits the battery compartment. Being very heavy it was not easy to fit in it's compartment in the boot. In effect under the 'roof' of the rear wing. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

I dunno. The Mini was an 850 one - and larger engines are always more difficult to start by hand using a starting handle so I'd guess the same applies doing it with the wheel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the last two times I've been involved with the emergency services - once RAC, once AA, both in or near London, they've taken so long to arrive and or arrange recovery I'd never bother with them again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

OTOH, someone I know who only upgraded to Homestart last Friday when the pump belt broke on his T4, and after the minimum membership period of 48 hours, was told on Monday he may have to wait up to five hours for help due to the workload. He was actually towed to his preferred garage within the hour.

With any type of service, you will get variations in quality. On average, most users have a good experience with the AA; they're just the ones you don't hear about.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Britannia rescue, much better service so I've found on the rare occasions I've had to use them:)..

tony sayer

You'd have to be a bit desperate to twist start rather than just push starting. If the road is dead level you should be able to push a mini reasonably fast, and if there's a hill - well just make sure you are pushing it the right way.

Reply to
GB

I was - I couldn't push the Mini van away from the kerb camber on my own and it was parked between cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So, you were in the middle of the road pulling this caper? :)

Reply to
GB

Depends on compression ratio too.

Reply to
GB

This gizmo looks pretty good and price wise aswell. Might be one up tommorow.

or this one

which would would be best ? ... I'm liking the first one those being feayure packed.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

No more in the middle of the road than changing a wheel. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I avoid doing that. You really need an RAC/AA truck double-parked to protect whoever's doing it. Without that, I'd be worried about qualifying for a Darwin Award.

Reply to
GB

They both have the same battery inside (17ah, 400 cranking amps). Personally, I'd buy the cheaper one, as you end up paying an awful lot for the air compressor part with the more expensive one.

Reply to
GB

I've got one of these:-

Which seems to do all I need. It starts the Landie on the rare occasion I've had a flat battery and no other faults.

The compressor does a good job on Landie and pushbike tyres.

Others are not so pleased, if you read the comments.....

Reply to
John Williamson

It was on a town side street - not motorway. Has everyone gone 'safety' mad?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My 20 quid Lidl one has a compressor. Which actually gets a fair bit of use - since garages charge for air these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IKEA have a free air line, and the cafe breakfast is very cheap with an IKEA family card.

Reply to
Mrcheerful