16v question

Novice alert :)

I Have a question what does it mean when a car is advertised as having 16v?

And would this mean more on the insurance?

A lot of the cars I'm looking at show 16v etc so I thought i'd ask.

Cheers Happy xmas

Reply to
mocha

Its a new battery sytandard. Old style cars were fitted with 12v batteries.

The newer style 16v batteries deliver much better acceleration, and the headlights are brighter.

Because of this the insurance will be higher but not by much.

Reply to
Brainiac

Valves. Don't buy an eight-cylinder with fewer than 16 - it won't work.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from "mocha" contains these words:

Many - (most) cars have four cylinders. Until a few years ago it was normal to have one inlet valve and one exhaust valve per cylinder, which made eight valves in all.

This was simple and cheap, but not as effective at allowing gases to pass in and out of the engine as having two smaller valves of each flavour, making 16 valves in all.

Insurers used to penalise 16 valves 'cos they were looked on as more powerful, though this may no longer be the case.

http://195.74.145.187/CarInsurance/downloads/Group.dat is a list of the groups for pretty well every car available in the UK, past and present. It's actually a plain text file and can be opened by any word processor of you force it.

Reply to
Guy King

If you're really wanting to know what 16v means take care with some the answers you've received!!

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It means the car has sixteen valves. There are eight in the engine, and another eight in the radio.

Steve Happy Christmas

Reply to
shazzbat

No radios have valves today. You must know that. What you mean is 8 in the engine, 5 in the 4 wheels + spare, plus three in the trumpet in the boot.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

It will work if it's a two stroke.

Reply to
Johannes

It means you will be served a large portion of mussels and oysters, also known as bivalves.

Reply to
Johannes

that's a fairly big file that is

Reply to
dojj

WOW an eight cylinder two stroke ... -that'd probably go like stink - and well stink like stink too!! :-0

Seriously mocha it's the number of valves (4 per cylinder) - in my fairly limited experience I've never heard of a 16volt car battery

-doesn't mean it doesn't exist but even if it did it probably wouldn't be quoted on many of the ad's you'd read.

Reply to
loony

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

There's a lot of cars!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "loony" contains these words:

Some outboards are V8 2-strokes. Hard part is getting the oil into the right places, and getting proper seals between the individual crankcases. Easier if it's blown, of course, rather than crankcase induction.

Reply to
Guy King

They do exist, but they're diesels. Unfortunately they don't go like stink since they tend to be lumbered with hauling stuff like trains and ships around.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

How?

Reply to
ThePunisher

How you ever dismantled a moped?

Reply to
Johannes

The message from Johannes contains these words:

No, I look before changing directtion and emerging from junctions. Which is more than can be said for many moped "riders"!

Reply to
Guy King

true :)

Reply to
dojj

unless you go to VW where you will have a 20V 4 pot unlike the 20V Italian motors, which have 5 cylinder like the Swedish motors (some found under the bonnets of orange fords) which also have 10V variants of their 20V 5 bangers on the other end of the scale you also have F1 cars which run on 50V

Reply to
dojj

That has ended, the 2006 F1 season cars will have 40V.

Reply to
Johannes