1989 Passat, coolant leaks cyl block

Hi

Has anyone experienced this problem and can recommend a cure?

RP engine, 96k, 3 tiny leaks in front face of block on ledge below bottom of head bolt housings. Only detected by rust stains on block.

Would it be ok to use Radweld or similar.

TIA

al

Reply to
al

Well, I personally swear by Radweld for this sort of thing. However, everyone else I've seen on this NG swears AT it. So yer takes yer choice. Or else, yer puts up with a small leak.

Another possible option is to try to seal over the leaks by using JB Weld. This is an epoxy product and I think it's excellent. It's a bit akin to putting Araldite over the holes.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Thanks Rob. I thought of Radweld, or something similar, because it seems best to try and seal the holes from the inside. However, I am concerned that it might coat the inside of the block and cause the engine to overheat. I'll have a look at JB Weld as you suggest.

al

Reply to
al

In article , al writes

Could it be coming from the joint between the coolant elbow(black plastic with 3 temp sensors) and the flange on the cylinder head? On mine the flange was pitted and IIRC I sealed it with Hermetite

Reply to
Chris Holford

Not everyone. I would certainly recommend one bottle for this. If it doesn't work a new cylinder head gasket might be needed. I believe there are some posters who have got upset after using several bottles and gunging up their cooling systems.

Reply to
dp

Recently bought some Radweld to fix a small leak in the corner of a radiator. The bloke in the shop advised to turn the heater to cold to minimise the chance of it blocking the matrix, and to only pour it in when the engine's properly warmed up (taking the usual precautions!) - otherwise it sits behind the (closed) thermostat causing the infamous gunging. Worked a treat.

Reply to
Carl Bowman