1996 Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6, failed its MOT

My car just failed its MOT, the reason given was very high CO2 readings. What could be the cause? They think it's the catalyst but I'd rather have other ideas to investigate as that's expensive to buy.

Reply to
Alex Buell

In article , Alex Buell writes

I think you'll get more useful replies if you give all the readouts from the emissions test.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed we need the actual figures to begin with.

As a guide, if its VERY hight (over about 4%) then you have a cold engine, or a duff temp sensor.

A healthy running engine at working temperature will give typically less than 1% at the tailpipe with NO catalyst.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:54:13 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Tim..:

They found it was the catalyst, it's the original cat, so I'm actually quite pleased it lasted that long!

Reply to
Alex Buell

Are you sure? There are 4 cats on the Audi V6's and to replace them all you are looking upwards of 800quid...plus fitting!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:55:58 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Tim..:

Are we talking about the 1996 Audi Cabriolet?

Reply to
Alex Buell

Alex Buell ( snipped-for-privacy@munted.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

cat. £275 or £350 (both plus VAT) depending on if it's 4- or 3-bolt.

Reply to
Adrian

On 08 Sep 2006 13:44:55 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Adrian:

I really don't know why Tim said the older Audi cabriolet (80 floorplan) takes four catalyts, but I think he must have been thinking of the newer A4s, these cost a small fortune to maintain!

Reply to
Alex Buell

Ahhh, I was talking about the newer non 80 (but pre A4) floorpan type cabs...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..