brake light question.. need answer tonight please !

Never noticed this before... I have an escort finesse 1998. I have never had to put it through an mot yet myself. I was checking the lights tonight & I noticed only one rear fog light working. I opened the casing up to try swapping the bulbs round . I could then see that one of the light casings is blanked off and from what I can see has never had even a bulb holder in there. I bought the car just after its last test so it must have got through with just the driver side rear fog light. Is this normal to have just one rear fog light? I need a quick answer if possible.. I have an mot booked tomorrow !!

thanks in advance

Reply to
tomm

Only one off side required. Rear Fog lamps**

a.. must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle b.. tell-tale must work c.. must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured d.. must be red.

gio

Reply to
Gio

not brake light

Reply to
OG

"tomm" wrote in news:450076ee$0$17953$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Don't worry that is quite normal. You only need the one fog light

Reply to
Tunku

I can confirm that only one (offside) rear fog is OK for an MOT. My Nissan Almera is the same - just a plastic moulding with no bulb holder behind the red lens. This is simply a penny-pinching trick by the car manufacturers. At least my car has two reversing lights - some vehicles have one reverse light (nearside) and one rear fog (offside). I suppose a nearside fog could be fitted by obtaining a fitting from a left hand drive vehicle!

Terry D.

Reply to
T Dutson

thanks... everyone...

just one more dumb question. rear windscreen washer does not work (front is fine) anyhting to worry about ? (yes ..I know.. I should have checked all this before the eve of the test !!!!!)

Reply to
tomm

no rear washer isnt part of the test.

its all change from monday with the new re-test regs.

Reply to
reg

Two is good though, for when tailgaters get irritating ;-)

Reply to
David R

Reg what are the basic changes in the regs ?

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Careless reversing = break light :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

have a look here, be easier for you to digest then me try and explain the full regs.

reg

Thank you for that Reg. Gio

Reply to
Gio

So back to more like it was before then. Good.

I notice it changed from 'brought back by the end of the next working day and retested' to 'brought back by the end of the next working day'... I was wondering how many garages would use the loophole of not managing to retest it next day even though it was brought back in time, and charging anyway. But now they can't.

Unless I missed something..

Reply to
PC Paul