2 misc questions

Hi,

Two quick questions:

1) I've got an ODBII reader now so can reset the MIL if it comes on. As I still don't know whether my car actually has a MIL light on the dash I need to cause the ECU to try and turn it on somehow. Tony Brett tried various things with his Fiesta but couldn't do so.

2) I got hold of an RAC battery charger from Costco for £20. Supposedly able to push in 6A@12V as opposed to the 3.6A charger from LIDL (but I've only seen it do 4A so far). Charged 3 85Ah leisure batts fine but on the fourth the charger didn't turn itself off, continued to apply 13V (resulting in 3.5A) and the battery started to get hot - accompanied by slight smell of hydrogen sulphide. Does that indicate a duff battery or a duff charger?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

1) Doesn't the light come on during the initial start-up bulb check sequence ? Do you have the OBDII / EOBD 16-pi socket ?

Pull the plug off an engine sensor - Lambda / Coolant temp, etc

2) Battery.
Reply to
NT

it depends on how flat the battery is when you start to charge it, the flatter they are the more amps they will draw from the charger, if it gets to warm for your liking just turn off the charger for a while, then charge again. even better turn down the charge rate on the charger (if the charger has a lower charge rate,= thats less amps not voltage=)

as for the ecu. to get a error reading unplug a lambda sensor and take the car round the block untill the light on the dash comes on.

Reply to
bongo

So you're bought something just in case you have a problem, but you don't know if you would know if you had a problem in the first place? Yeah because that makes sense...

What car do you have?

When you start the car do you have an orange emissions control / check engine light? It should illuminate for a little bit then shut down. Does the car have an OBD-II port?

Pass.

Reply to
DervMan

A bought it for a number of reasons:

1) To ask the ECU of any possible existing problems. 2) Because it'd be interesting to watch the various reported values change as the car is driven. 3) In case either of our Fords develops an ECU detected fault I can read the code without visiting Ford and possibly paying more than the reader cost in the process. The cars are usually in daily use so I wouldn't be able to order a reader as soon as a fault occurs. 4) It only cost me £35 or thereabouts (ordered from States).

A 2000 built Fiesta Zetec and a 2002 Ka. Both have a PWM OBDII port.

It doesn't on the Fiesta and does on the Ka. The design of the Fiesta's dash makes it impossible to tell between not having the light and the light being broken (without removing it). The manual helpfully says "depending on engine and country".

I'm trying to trickle charge it now.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Trying that now :)

Tony tried that on his Fiesta but no joy - the ECU detected the fault but didn't try to illuminate the MIL.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

No and yes.

Looks like it.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

If the car is a post 98 car, it MUST be fitted with a MIL as part of OBDII compliance. (some earlier cars have the MIL anyhow-depends on manurfacturer)

If its fitted with a MIL, this must illuminate upon key on, then extinguish afew seconds after engine start. This is also part of the compliance.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the info.... unfortunately presumably this means I'll have to get my dashboard out of the car to change the bulb :(

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Not in the UK/Europe according to

(If you know theWiki article to be wrong please do correct it, with references) Here, it says, mandatory compliance with the OBD-variant EOBD came into effect in 2001.

Indeed, my 1999 Hyundai Coupe has limited OBD capabilities however it doesn't have an MIL fitted. Models >2001 did/do however.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton