2001 Mondeo - Honey I Washed the Remote!

Needless to say it dosn't work any more. It's the three button one with the detachable shank. It still opens the doors manually and starts the car, but it won't work remotely. I've still got the second key with the blue tag.

Ford want about =A340 + VAT, and I can't help thinking that there must be a cheaper option. These keys are on ebay for about =A35. Can I buy one of these, change the shank and somehow programme it myself? I've seen a few sites that seem to deal with problems like this, but none of them seem particularly definitive.

All advice and pointers to a solution gratefully received. Cheers.

Reply to
treehouse

Renault want =A3110 for a new keycard for my Megane, so I guess that is just another reason why people should buy Fords!

At =A340 I'd suggest a trip to your local Ford dealer is on the cards.....

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Ford want about £40 + VAT, and I can't help thinking that there must be a cheaper option. These keys are on ebay for about £5. Can I buy one of these, change the shank and somehow programme it myself? I've seen a few sites that seem to deal with problems like this, but none of them seem particularly definitive.

All advice and pointers to a solution gratefully received. Cheers.

If you can persuade mr Ford to program it for you for the 40quid, then what are you waiting for? (actually you can program it yourself fairly easily following the handbook destructions...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ford want about £40 + VAT, and I can't help thinking that there must be a cheaper option. These keys are on ebay for about £5. Can I buy one of these, change the shank and somehow programme it myself? I've seen a few sites that seem to deal with problems like this, but none of them seem particularly definitive.

All advice and pointers to a solution gratefully received. Cheers.

---------------------------------------- Scrappy or ebay or online scrappy.

You might be able to take the PATS chip out of the knackered one and transplant it to the replacement and then you only have to program the remote locking & opening. Did that on mine although i have the slightly older 2 key infrared fob.

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

if that's all inclusive then go for it. I spent ages looking for spare fobs on ebay and the new ones cost that much on there.. the old ones are all dirty and scatched.. have you tried to dry it out and a new

2032 battery ?
Reply to
mr p

Yeah - thanks anyway. Now I've looked at the manual (duh!) I can see what I have to do. Just one remaining question though - can I reprogramme the immobiliser on a second hand key that's already been programmed, or do I need to buy a brand new key?

Cheers.

Reply to
treehouse

funnily enough what you are doing it programming the car to the key.. you tell the car to remember the code on the key I suspect. The manual tells you how to do it but I can't remember what it said about remote fobs, perhaps the remote signal is somehow the same code as the RFID / PATS thing ? Are you sure it's /really/ dry.. like put on a radiator for a couple of days ?

Simon

Reply to
mr p

The remote signal is absolutely nothing to do with the PATS RFID. Treat a remote fob exactly the same as a plain key with a PATS thingy.

Basically you need two valid PATS keys to get the thing into program mode and then you can add more PATS keys (up to 8 in total) or delete all PATS keys (except the two you used to get into program mode)

It's in the manual.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Thanks Tony - that's what I'd already worked out. However if anyone has the answer to my query about whether I need a brand new key or if a previously programmed one can be "rewritten" I would be grateful.....

Reply to
treehouse

You don't write anything to the keys, they have a fixed code, what you are doing is programming the car to accept that code.

Reply to
SimonJ