2nd Hand Engines

I'm about to buy a 2nd hand engine (from an insurance write off) from one of

2 companies, Universal Spares UK in Liverpool or Broadbent Autos in Oldham. Universal Spares are coming in a little cheaper and with a 6month warranty whereas Broadbent offer a 3 month warranty which they assure me is the norm.

Does anybody out there have any experience of either?

Thanks S.T.

Reply to
Simon Tudor

You're stabbing in the dark no matter where you buy it from. Both are in towns/cities I wouldn't trust any automotive trader from. Go for the one with the longest warranty.

Reply to
Conor

After you've read the small print, some vendors require you to change the oil & oil pump in order to qualify for the warranty

Reply to
DuncanWood

I seem to remember using one of the online breaker search engines to find a gearbox and universal spares in Liverpool being one of the respondents. We arranged payment and delivery and I was happy.

An apologetic scouser then phoned me up the day after it was supposed to arrive to tell me that they didn't have the particular gearbox in the first place and would be unable to supply.

They didn't take my money and I'm glad they phoned to tell me it wasn't coming rather than have me waiting around like a pillock. I was a bit disappointed though, as I felt they perhaps should have made sure they had what I was asking for before they told me they did.

Oh well, but never mind, I found a gearbox that worked in a breaker not far from my flat and used that.

I got it for half what Universal Spares wanted.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Of course, bigotry against lorry drivers is *different* Conor.

Reply to
Chris Street