Marxist driving-tracking insurance scam (1984 came late)

Some people will do anything for money, including submitting to what amounts to a car "ankle bracelet." Look for the insurance companies
to start lobbying to make this mandatory.
BBC:
9 February 2012 Last updated at 15:06 ET AA to launch sat-nav tech tracked insurance policy By Dave Lee Technology Reporter
The AA is set to launch a new insurance policy which uses sat-nav technology to track driver performance.
The firm said the system would allow its better drivers to receive cheaper premiums.
It follows similar efforts by smaller insurers. Larger rival Direct Line has told the BBC it is also piloting its own "black box" scheme.
Critics of the technology said that data should not be used as a reliable measure of a driver's ability.
The system involves the installation of a small black box into the driver's car which records how they drive.
The measures include monitoring speed, braking severity, cornering and the types of roads used during certain times of day.
This information is transmitted remotely to the insurers, and can also be accessed by users via a website which gives information on overall performance, warning them if they are likely to be moved to a higher premium.
"The reports are pretty detailed," AA spokesman Ian Crowder told the BBC ahead of Wednesday's formal announcement.
"The point is that these sorts of devices firmly put in the hands of the driver a responsibility for driving safely. It makes you think."
The information could be used to prove who was at fault in accidents, Mr Crowder added, but such detailed information would only be disclosed with a court order. 'Stern email'
He added that the system could also detect sudden hard braking so assistance could be sent.
Extreme speeds would be greeted with "a stern email" to the driver.
He said the "pay-how-you-drive" system, which is aimed primarily at young drivers, could save customers up to 850 per year.
"All the anecdotal evidence suggests that people who have installed the system have about a 30% better claims experience - in other words, less crashes - than those who don't," he added.
The technology, known as "telematics" or "black box insurance" has for several months been utilised by smaller insurance firms such as Co-Op and Coverbox.
Welsh insurance firm Motaquote has just launched a partnership with leading sat-nav manufacturer TomTom to offer real-time feedback on driver performance.
Other major insurers are expected to launch policies soon. Direct Line told the BBC it had begun a pilot using its own technology - called Tracker - which it hoped to implement by the end of the year.
Elsewhere, car hire firm Avis said telematics is "one to watch", and said it might consider using the technology in its vehicles. 'Spy in the car'
Malcolm Tarling, from the Association of British Insurers, said it is an approach which is likely to become commonplace.
"It's particularly important for young drivers who have high premiums," he said.
"You may say you don't want a 'spy in the car' as some call them, but others may say that if this is one way of making my premiums reflect my safety on the road, this will be of interest."
But Keith Peat, a spokesman for the Association for British Drivers, told the BBC he was worried that drivers who did not want to allow telematics in their vehicle would face higher costs.
"Providing the drivers give their consent it is OK," he said.
"But what we are totally against is people who don't give their consent being penalised."

Perfect! You can be inattentive, yak on your phone, or text, drifting all over your lane and into other lanes and end up paying a lower monthly premium than an "aggressive driver" who is focused and calculating his/her next move. Got to love it!
Patrick

Other than discouraging DUI, what does Alcoholics Anonymous have to do with auto insurance? :-)

There are a few programs out there that can be used to fake the output from an OBD II system.

Stuff like that.

And in the US that information could be supeonaed by prosecutors.

Like I said.
If this is an INS system (not connected to a GPS) there are some rather disappointing was of tricking it, too.

Impact sensors? That's what OnStar uses.

I love the Brits. I guess he'll get "a good talking to", also.

Anecdotal. As in "whatever we want to say, with no real proof."

Ah, GPS. "I'm sorry, I was mucking around in the boot/bonnet and I must have disconnected the antenna. Sorry 'bout that, gov."

Okay, for UK drivers, quesiton. In much of the US, if I am in an accident, regardless of fault, my preiums go up, since my insurance company is the one who pays me and not the fuckwit who thought that a yellow light would stay yellow another 10 seconds. Interestingly, though, his preiums will go up even more since he was also at fault. Now, if I sue him, my insurance company has first claim on any proceedings from the award up to the claim amount. Before I pay my attorney!!!!
"Insurance companies don't make money by paying claims."

"Anecdotal evidence proves that you'll co-operate unless you have something to hide."

"Anecdotal evidence ..." Ooops, just said that.
So, unless they give their consent (BTW, I'm not hammering on Mr. Peat, just expanding his arguments) then the cops can use it against them. Of course, I could always claim it was obtained under duress.

I think he misselt "penal-ized". Or, in the US, "dicked over". Butt I guess they' anal-ize the "eveidence".
--

- dillon I am not invalid

So Kim Jung Ill shows up at the barbecue. "Wait,"
"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
Snip!

Ha!
Seriously though, this technology is already in some rental cars ... drivers have been hit with nasty surprise surcharges because their rental agreements said they couldn't take the car out-of-state, and the black-boxes proved they did.
SPAMMED INTO NON-RELEVANT GROUPS - AND CUT

Progressive Insurance already has a tracker: <http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-how-it-works.aspx
It's not available in all states for some reason. <http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-common-questions.aspx
Will Progressive share Snapshot data with anyone else? We wont share Snapshot data with a third party unless its required to service your insurance policy, prevent fraud, perform research or comply with the law. We also wont use Snapshot data to resolve a claim unless you or the registered vehicle owner gives us permission.
In other words, Yes! We will share the info with everyone.
In the '05 - '09 mustangs, mine is an '09, it looks plenty big enough to be in the way of my left leg. If these were mandatory, mine would probably end up damaged and I'd have to constantly replace it.
--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.

SPAMMED INTO NON-RELEVANT GROUPS - AND CUT
posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/sAsRAt77pnXIMUnjI2KbY" User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.2 (Intel Mac OS X) Cancel-Lock: sha1:E7lVFsV6YilTdOVHo04erhP2W8IX-Received-Bytes: 2856 Xref: Hurricane rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang:86189 alt.politics:6223790 can.politics:1382739 uk.politics.misc:1988295

For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
On 2/16/2012 15:39, twk wrote:

Perhaps he needs to seek out the definition of spam as it relates to Usenet otherwise he is bustin' nothing more than his own nutz. Seth has prepared the definition in advance....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup_spam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breidbart_Index
On 2/16/2012 13:43, pamuster wrote:

So far none of the groups are completely non-relevant, and your incessant meaningless replies are more off topic than the original thread. If you don't like it learn to use an exclusion list.
SPAMMED INTO NON-RELEVANT GROUPS - AND CUT

The phrase you are looking for is "cross posted". Interestingly enough, you managed to crosspost to the same groups, which lets my reply also appear in those groups.
And, it seems that some of those same groups are respnding to the OP, so they probably believe this to be relavant.
BUT, I hope they'll kill this specific irrelenant thread (but don't kf me, please).
--

: