300Tdi -- "Son of Squeak"!

Just thought you guys would like to know that baby powder on the external belt may work short term, but it doesn't work long term. I am back with the squeaker.... :(

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I have problems with mine too. Every morning I have to squirt a small amount of WD40 onto the belt and then it's OK 'till the next day. Mine was OK until after one particularly wet laning session involving lots of fords, I've tried a belt dressing aerosol too.

I'm gonna try replacing the belt one of these days...

Reply to
Simon Barr

When your belt starts squeaking it is usually because it is slipping, slippage is because of one of a few things.

1: The belt is not tensioned correctly (usually undertensioned) 2: The belt is worn and requires replacement. 3: The pullys that the belt runs on are worn (this does happen over time). 4: The belt is overloaded. 5: Dirt or oil on the belt.

I'd bet on the cause being 1 or 2, in any case you most likely need a new belt because once it starts slipping it will wear out pretty quickly.

-- James

Reply to
James

Im going for 2 as the 300TDi uses an automatic tensioner. I've just got to get around to replacing the belt...

Reply to
Simon Barr

Simon Barr wrote in news:buorr1$kbrii$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-113705.news.uni-berlin.de:

You forgot 6.

  1. Because it's a Land Rover.

Apparently this is an endemic problem in 300Tdi's. You can replace the belt and the tensioner and that will cure the problem -- until "Return of The Squeak!"

I did hear someone say there is a special soft rubber belt that can be fitted and the tensioner should be replaced at the same time.

Another poster pointed out the rubber doesn't particularly like WD40.

An engineer friend has suggested belt lubricant or perhaps Coca- cola (not the sugar free variety) which makes the belt sticky.

I'm thinking ear plugs might be the only long term solution....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Number 6 just means that one of the other conditions is a part of the design rather than being an individual problem that has occured since the car was built.

-- James

Reply to
James

James wrote in news:buqq6b$n1r$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

I did a Google Groups last night. The problem is widespread and it seems just about everything has been tried from honey to WD40. Someone recommended a new belt from Quinton Hazell so, as one of the cheaper solution, I am currently researching that. Apparently they are softer and better quiality.

Other suggestions include tensioner bearings or crank shaft pulley bearings failing (both expensive to replace unless using bearings from an independent source), plus of course a new belt.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

oooh thats harsh! The main reason these belts squeak is due to the work the vehicle does. Getting covered in mud, water and general crap!

I`ve replaced the belt on mine twice - both times it started squealing shortly after some serious offroad abuse. The engine bay on both of these occasions looked like a nutter had been playing "design an engine from clay"! Engine gets jetwashed to remove the clay and mud and within a week it starts making a noise. Basically once the belts covered in slop, it starts to be ground into the fabric of the belt by the pulleys and tensioner. This degrades the belt to a certain extent making it squeak. Only 3 ways round this - use a different type of belt made from soft rubber (they are expensive), don`t go playing in deep mud (hahaha like thats going to happen unless you`re one of these sad losers that own a

4x4 for going to the shops/school run) or lastly put with the squeel and change the belt regularly!

Nick C defender 90 - 300tdi CSW

Reply to
Nick C

I did the tensioner bearing just after christmas. I got the bearing from the local BSL place. It's a standard bearing and cost me about £7. Getting out the retaing clip holding the bearing in was bit of a pig as it was rusted in.

Still makes a noise though!!!

Reply to
Simon Barr

Simon Barr wrote in news:burbg2$l9g7f$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-113705.news.uni-berlin.de:

Spoke to Derek Lees, Technical guy at Quinton Hazell, and mentioned "Son of Squeak". Quick as a flash, he replied that it is caused by the tensioner pulley becoming glazed. "Take some emery paper and take the glaze off. That'll cure it!", he said.

Well, he could have sold me one of their expensive belts, but didn't, so I shall try it. Attempted de-glazing with the pulley in place tonight but it didn't do a thing so I will (try to) remove it tomorrow and report back.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue