306 BallJoints.. Do I really need a splitter?

Got to change the balljoints on my 306 1.9 NA diesel shed.. Do I need a ball joint splitter? In the past when I've done balljoints, I've just stuck the handle of hammer between the lower arm and hub and heaved it..

I actually want to do it right this time..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

One of the best tools I ever bought was a ball-joint splitter. I've not had much use from the forked one I have, but the "scissor" one is worth it's weight in gold sometimes :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

you only need a taper joint splitter tool if they are taper joints!!, it will not help at all if they are parallel joints. So have a look, if the fixing is a bolt at right angles to the joint then no tool is needed, if there is a large nut on the top then you should have a splitter, the scissor type is best.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's one of these, and if it's the same as the ZX, which IIRC it is, the fixing is at right angles..

Thanks!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

That looks like it's parallel to me.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you're anywhere near Ramsgate you can borrow my scissor splitter. It's rather spiffing and makes the job a piece of wee-wee.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Just give the side of the hole a good whack with a heavy hammer, This upsets the hole and the tapper should pop out.

Don't hit the thread to drive it apart that will shock it in tighter.

Reply to
Rob

Sadly I'm just outside Reading, but thanks for the offer anyway:-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

you only need a taper joint splitter tool if they are taper joints!!, it will not help at all if they are parallel joints. So have a look, if the fixing is a bolt at right angles to the joint then no tool is needed, if there is a large nut on the top then you should have a splitter, the scissor type is best.

This is right

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan