406 Questions

The 406 forums seem to be a bit useless, so I'm asking here. The car is a 53 plate (that's D9, Peugeot spotters) with the 110 HDi engine.

1) The trafficator stalk seems to be a bit too easy to move, and if you wind lock off quickly it likes to go straight through the central position and starts indicating the other direction. Do they all do it, or do I want a new stalk?

2) There's a resonance around 1800 rpm. A foul resonance that goes through the whole car. Is this god punishing me for being a tightwad and buying a diesel? Is the DMF about to explode in a thousand pieces? Or is it linked to

3?

3) There's a leak in the inlet manifold. Only a small job at the joint between two parts of the manifold. Is this likely to be causing 2, or the relatively s**te economy I appear to be experiencing (38mpg average. around

42mpg at a steady 80)?
Reply to
Doki

The 1998 petrol model doesn't do that.

Can't help you with 2 & 3 I'm afraid.

Reply to
malc

Maybe it's been used too many times. It is a frence heap of s**te after all.

Reply to
Doki

Hmm. Seems it is a common issue with the 406s. Wonder how far I'll get with Peugeot at 5 years old...

Reply to
Doki

...I thought we were in for a long list there ;-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nowhere is a fair bet.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

*ding*. They were replacing them up to 4 years old apparently. Manufacturing defect too. Swines.

New indicator stalk from the dealer? £145 sir. Scrapyard time I reckon.

Reply to
Doki

Bah. The entire column stalk setup is one massive f*ck off assembly. Buggerance.

Reply to
Doki

I remember that from thinking at one point that I needed a replacement stalk (the one with the light switch on) in the Relay van (52 plate) - one whole unit at HFM money. Turned out to be the simple case of a fuse - one that the book told me related to something completely different (the fuse listed for dipped beams was fine) - just happened that the "something completely different" had stopped working as well, so by luck I managed to work it out.

I'm bloody glad the only French vehicle I run these days is a disposable banger....

Reply to
L'homme d'AstraVan