51 plate Vectra key

Have a problem with one of my keys.

Unlocks & locks car ok via remote but wont start the car.

The spanner light just flashes on the dash.

Spare key works fine.

Anything I can do before going to a Vauhall dealer ?

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Did the key work previously? If it did, then the transponder chip in the key has probably died. Is it a vectra B or C? B will require a new key blade (chip is part of the blade housing where the remote slides in) C will require a new remote, but you'll probably have to get a complete new key, as remotes aren't available anymore for the original keys

If it's never worked, then it may just need programming.

Reply to
moray

Save ferociously.

Reply to
David R

did work no probs till this week.

think its a b (not the newer shape version) the key part does slide off the remote bit. with a small tweek on the back from a screw driver

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

lol, yeah, thats why I tried here first.

Reply to
sQuick

Vectra B was produced up to around 2000/1 sometime.

But it does sound like the transponder in the key has died. It'll need a new key cut, and then it'll have to be programmed. You'll also need the security card that originally came with the car, which lists the chassis/engine/security/radio numbers. If you've not got that, then you'll have to get a new one from a dealer.

For the actual key, and getting it programmed, get a price from the dealer, but also try some local independants and locksmiths. Quite a few people are able to programme keys now, not just dealers.

Reply to
moray

You haven't just replaced the battery by any chance have you, or had the key in bits for any other reason? If so, check the immobiliser transponder chip is still there, it is easy to dislodge, and so small you may not notice you have lost it. If in doubt, compare the innards of the working key with the duff one.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

I did open the key up to see what kind of battery was inside.

It was working fine before I done this, Ill have to look around and see if anything fell out of it.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Ah. You'll be looking for alittle black chip about 2x4x7mm. When you take the remote out of the key, the chip sits tucked in a corner (it slots into the corner of the key, and there's a cut-out in the remote...) Some keys had them glued in, others just relied on them being a snugish fit.

Reply to
moray

Time to search the contents of the vacuum cleaner.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick