A/C top-up kit result.

On the 3rd of this month I enquired here about using a kit on my E39.

I'm not suggesting that any of the advice I received from my original was bad. If one can afford it, there's no doubt that having a competent A/C professional do the job is the better way to go.

My system was working but not cooling as well as it should. My guess was that it had simply lost a little gas since it was professionally regassed about 3 years ago.

Looks like I was right. Bought a kit for £30 and used it today, and am well pleased with the result. A/C appears to be as cold as it was when it was regassed properly.:-)

After connecting the hose and guage to the A/C low pressure port and saw the pressure was only down about half a bar or 7psi, I thought I might have wasted my money, but carried on and opened the valve on the hose to allow gas from the can into the system. Guage went from 2 bar to 2.5 bar, but very little gas appeared to come out of the can of gas. It felt almost as heavy as it had before I'd opened the valve, so I presume it needed very little gas, in terms of weight, to top-up the system, but it was obviously enough. Getting back into the car with the A/C running at it's lowest setting, the air coming from the vents was very cold.

Well pleased with result. A significant saving of £40, as the cheapest professional regas I could find locally was £70.

The can of R134a gas supplied with the kit has PAG oil added in case any wonders about the affect that adding pure gas might have on the system. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

toomeys are doing a proper regas for 37.99

the vectra that kwik fit could not do: they regassed it at no charge and said they could not fix it, it was brought to me and it turned out that the clutch relay had a dirty bottom: cleaned and sprayed with de-oxit and away it went!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nice price. The only problem is that they're in Essex. I live west of Horsham in West Sussex.

Know any hassle free way of fixing a compressor clutch that rattles all the times it's engaged. Apart from buying a new one? No worse now than it was when I bought the car over 3 years ago, but it's why I mainly only use the climate control for cooling Can't be heard inside the car when driving, but easily heard when the engine is ticking over. Sounds a bit like a slightly noisy timing chain. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I avoid getting involved in compressor clutches, but I do know that they are shimmed to a close setting, so maybe it needs re-shimming?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Wife paid £40 last week. Plenty around here for £40 inc "come to your house" ones.

Reply to
Conor

You need AC up there???

Reply to
The Peeler

The Peeler gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't forget how good it is at clearing misted windows on damp days...

Reply to
Adrian

Wouldn't external cold air (do they ever get anything else?) coming through the vents have the same effect?

Reply to
The Peeler

The Peeler gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nowhere near as effectively.

Aircon doesn't just cool the air, but dries it, too - so the air blowing at the 'screen is warm, bone-dry air. Perfect for clearing misting almost instantly.

Reply to
Adrian

Warm aircon???

Reply to
The Peeler

The Peeler gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, have you ever owned a car with aircon?

Reply to
Adrian

Umm, yes. Have you? Warm aircon sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Reply to
The Peeler

!

Air. Conditioning. Warmer or cooler, whats contradictory about that?

Reply to
Yassir I. Khan-Bughi

major manufacturers such as Ford have the system set so that air con. operates automatically if max. demist is selected.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

What is "aircon" an abbreviation for? Air *conditioning*. *Not* "air

*cooling*!

It means a system that will allow the air in an environment to be as close to the desired temperature and humidity as possible. It is achieved by being able to heat, cool, dehumidify, and sometimes humidify the air in an environment.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep, clears my screen within 10 seconds.

Reply to
Gordon H

"Yassir I. Khan-Bughi" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Quite.

The air passing over the aircon evaporator is cooled, yes. But it's then passed over the heater matrix, so can be heated again. It remains dry, though. Presto - warm, dry air. Perfect for clearing the windows.

Reply to
Adrian

The Peeler brought next idea :

No, the air with an a/c system is dehumidified. Cooled to dump the moisture out of it, then maybe reheated.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
[...]

Really? It takes that long for the compressor clutch to engage on all the Fords I've driven...

HFS does it faster than A/C.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The HFS is also pretty quick but the single red demist button on the Mondeo sets ; Heat=Max; Fan = Max Speed and A/C on.

That works for me.

Reply to
Gordon H