Mondeo Rust

Hi All

Got 97 Mondeo MK2 and i have noticed some rust bubbling up along the length of the seam where the door sills meet the floorpans. This is on both sides but drivers side is worse.

Is this just unavoidable on a mondeo this age or should i start looking to get rid of it before too long and it needs fixing?

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

In message , Matt F writes

Its unusual on a Mondeo and especially one which is only seven years old.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from "Matt F" contains these words:

How long is Frod's rust guarantee these days?

Reply to
Guy King

6 Years I believe, so not much chance of claiming on that.

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

In message , Guy King writes

6 years on something like the Mk2 Mondeo. Its 12 years on the later galvanised models.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

Well on the newer models apart from Ka it's 12 years, however I once tried to claim under the warranty on a 20 month old focus that had rust bubbling from behind the rear screen and ford simply said we only cover rust from the inside out! Rust from behind the glass is clearly a maufacturing fault! This problem was very common on early focuses and it took about 10 phone calls and 4 letters with print outs of similar cases from the net before Ford would offer any contribution. They offered to pay 60% however my local dealer fiddled the books so i didn't have to pay anything and they paid the lot without knowing !

So in my experience the corrosion warranties are worth very little, hate to try and claim for rust on a 10 year old car if this is what i got on a 20 month old one!

Having worked at a Ford dealer I have also seen literally dozens of Kas with seams rusting in the first 6 months, of all the ford range theys eem to be the worst rotters now, but thats hardly suprising as they are a pretty old design.

Dilbert

Reply to
Dilbert

Indeed, the ten year warranty was first seen on the Focus as I recall. My Mondeo only had a six year warranty for rust.

Reply to
Chris Street

Common problem, doors+hood it all rust even on 6 month old cars, the whole seam needs to be changed Ford at no cost.

Reply to
Christian

Are you saying they will sort this out for a 7 1/2 year old car?

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

"Matt F" skrev i en meddelelse news:RwP3e.2935$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

no only that it is a common problem, even on new cars,-the product from 3M is crap..

on a 7½ year old car...well I do not think Ford will do anything....

Reply to
Chr

It's what Ford are good at......... rot boxes

Reply to
George Spigot

looking to

Just tidy it up and hope for the best. Expect to have to get some welding done sooner or later.

Reply to
adder1969

It's also usually only an anti perforation warranty, so you'll have to have holes not just bubbles.

Reply to
gazzafield

always have been good at that. I have heard the KA problem is because they're not painting them on parts of the underside before they leave the factory.

Reply to
gazzafield

Heh! Rust warranties only cover for treated areas.

Reply to
Johannes