Ancient Toyota Starlet

My daughter, who very recently passed her test, is now the fairly proud owner of a 1989 1.0l Starlet.

It's accelerates like a slug, which I half expected because of its age, but it does proudly proclaim that it has 12 valves and I hoped it might be a

*bit* nippy, but it in't. Also, it has an Economy light which is green if you drive like a granny and red otherwise. If you accelerate 'carefully' it seems hesitant as though it's being held back, and surge-y and it doesn't like a constant throttle.

Also when you take your foot off the throttle it's very slow to get itself down to idle. A bit too slow, so it sounds like you didn't take your foot off when changing gear. This seems an on-purpose thing because if you look at the carb you can watch it damping the throttle action.

I can't find a manual for it anywhere so I'm looking for opinions on the above 'features' and cures if cures are required.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

That's because it has 12 valves. 8 in the engine, and 4 in the radio.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

PMSL :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Start with a very comprehensive tune up, replacing things like HT leads, rotor arm, cap, plugs, ANY vacuum hoses that are even slightly dodgy (and i bet it has loads) and carefully checking for air leaks.

check the vacuum advance is not stuck and that the static timing is spot on-or-just-retarded-enough-to-stop-pinking, that its capable of getting upto proper running temp and then remove the carb jets and blow them out., empty some carb cleaner down it after with engine at fast tickover, and reset the idle speed and mixtures to the book.

Also check that the second barrel is opening (if it has one- think so) and that the linkage isnt stuck. If its a vacuum secondary, then maybe the diaphragm is split- this would certainly give you hesitation as the primary barrel wont be capable of supplying enough fuel after about 1/3 throttle.(plus are always jetted lean)

It should be reasonably nippy and keen despite just 1 litre.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It's had plugs, points, rotor arm, oil change, oil and air filters so far, all done by a reliable mechanic. It passed the MOT emissions easily, apparently.

I'd be happier ferretting around it if I could get hold of a manual but Haynes didn't make one, AFAICS.

It's nowhere near as nippy as my wife's 1.0 Micra and that's only 6 years younger. I'll check everything you've suggested, thanks.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

There's bound to be one on ebay..

Steve

Reply to
Steev

Not for the 1989 model there's not. Much earlier models, yes, but the carburation and emissions systems on those would be very different.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

i would contact Toyota Enthusiasts club, used to be a member when i had my Celica's..

Reply to
Jules

That's the badger! Ignition timing was a bit out. This I discovered by a combination of delving into the memory and trial and error.

Well suggested that chap.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Is it going any better now then?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Much better. The timing must have been way out. It starts much easier and actually accelerates now, rather than just gaining momentum. I had flashbacks of working on old Fords back in 1980 and set it by ear as I don't know the correct setting yet and it's so much better.

Oh, and yes, there are loads of vacuum pipes!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

it has points !!! so dwell should be set to 46 - 58 degrees, static timing with advance disconnected is 5 at 950 rpm advance should be 8 - 22 at 4000,

22 - 27 at 6000
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Dwell angle... I remember that! :o)

Bastard mk.1 Fiesta points... Mini points...! *Shudder*

Ta. Noted.

As for the damped throttle, it's been suggested that one of the many vacuum tubes might be blocked. This will be investigated when it stops raining. In May, probably.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot