Annoying noise from 2003 Zetec Fiesta

Ah, that does seem to be an Italian problem. I think it relates to "asset rich, cash poor" that afflicts many rural Italians. Sadly the government is making things worse by imposing ludicrous taxes on property with no regard for the ability to pay. Foreigners are seen as cash cows and my recent EMU tax bill made my ears curl. It's self defeating because the money that was being used to pay local tradesmen now ends up being paid as taxes and I'm DIYing all the house repairs/improvements. Since "The Crisis" started several local builders have gone bankrupt. Mostly they deserved to go bankrupt, they were the worst of the lot, the rip-off merchants who would take a deposit for a job then muck about and not finish the work. However it shows that money is being taken out of the economy because although they are bastards they prospered when times were good. Now the good builders have time on their hands and are quoting low prices and short delivery schedules so the few who can afford building work are using them.

DIY is regarded as one rung below manual cess-pit cleaning by most Italians so other people just give up on maintenance.

I can see several farmhouses from the A1 autostrada when I drive from Milan back home. Several of them are grand houses to the south side of the road near Parma that are being permitted to go to rack and ruin, so I guess money for repairs is in very short supply.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Okay, given the price of the belts, I wanted to see if I can work out what it was before I remove it. My wooden stick is making me think that it's the idler pulley that is whirring. I suppose that can 'go', just like anything else. Is it possible to replace just the bearing, or do you have to get the assembly?

I'm going to try to get the belt off in one piece (last time I tried it, it was easy enough), so that I can put it back if it turns out to be something else. Do you think that's safe? I've got a new belt, so it's going to get replaced as soon as the noise is fixed, anyway.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

They seem to have plenty of money, which they get from renting their land out. And they're very generous with it. Each time we meet up, they'll give us a thousand euros for our little boy's savings account; and they want to pay for every meal when we go out. It's just that they don't seem to care anything about their property.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

You just change the whole thing. certainly any thing that has a bearing in can get noisy. If the belt stays on and doesn't slip it is fine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well, I managed to get a better look at it over the weekend. Now that I can see it, it isn't just an idler of course, it's on the end of the water pump. It doesn't feel worn, as I was expecting, in fact it feels a little stiff to turn by hand. Can I assume that's not normal?

Reply to
Dis Manibus

what engine is this? if you are trying to turn the w/p then it should turn very freely. the a/c pulley will be difficult to turn and is made up of several parts with the belt area in the middle and a sort of plate with bolts to the outside, the belt area should turn freely with the engine off/a/c off, while the outer plate will be significantly firm to turn.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's a 1.4 Zetec. There is no A/C. The water pump is driven by the back of the belt, which has become rather shiny (prematurely, I'd say, since it's less than a year old). It's hard to describe how hard it is to turn. It doesn't spin, by any means. The nearest comparison would be the twistgrip on my old triumph daytona, which gets tiring after a bit (opening up two carbs by hand). I can imagine that at engine speeds, the back of the belt might well slip on it.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

There should not be any significant resistance to turning, a spin by hand should result in it continuing for a turn or so by itself. Water pumps generally get easier to turn as they wear until they become graunchy and leak as the bearings disintegrate.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's what I thought. I've taken water pumps out before now, but I didn't think it impossible that this comparative stiffness was by design (there isn't much that surprises me, these days). Maybe it's had a knock, or something. Or maybe something's got stuck inside. It'll be interesting to have a closer look.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

assuming it is the petrol 1.4 iirc it is difficult to change the pump and it is usually done at the same time as the cam belt.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A large part of it is certainly behind the top cambelt cover.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

IIRC the cam belt goes across it and the lower bit is behind the bottom cambelt cover, which entails removal of the crank pulley which is NOT keyed to the shaft. Do not undo it unless you are prepared to renew the belt and tensioners and have all the right special tools that are needed. At that age of car the belt should be replaced in any case.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

+1

Fairly clued-up neighbour wrote off his wife's Fiesta last year by failing to take notice of the advice I gave him regarding cam belt replacement on these engines. I even printed out all the procedures and tool list from Autodata for him...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Haynes manual only mentions removing the cover. I hope it's correct, although obviously I wouldn't bet my life savings on it. I'd prefer to leave the cam belt replacement until I was actually in the mood to do it, rather than be forced into it. Mileage is quite low, so I'm not going to worry about it yet. We're hoping to have replaced the car by next year, but since it just keeps going, it's not a certainty.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

Well, now you've got me thinking. I'll replace just the water pump for now, and look at doing the cam belt within the next few months. I'll put the old stretchy belt back for now, because I don't want to shell out another 45 quid if I do the cam belt soon.

Reply to
Dis Manibus

Do let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Pre 2005 the timing belt pulley is mounted separately and not on the water pump so the pump can be changed without removing the belt. Just ensure you don't get coolant on the belt or down the lower cover. Depending on quality of lower belt cover seal it may not drain so belt could be immersed in coolant.

(but the line drawings for same engine in Focus show the belt removed)

9: remove generator HA HA HA, remove grill, headlamp and wedge the power steering reservoir out of way to remove alternator.
They built the car around the water pump! [1] [1] BMW motorcycles are built around the battery.
Reply to
Peter Hill