Another tyre Q

Three years ago I bought a VW Polo from a dealer, 10 months old with

14k on the clock. AFAICT it had been a hire car. After it had been in the forecourt for a month the asking price dropped by £1k, and as it was now more that £4k off the new price, I bought it.

It wasn't long before I realised that the tyre pressure table on the fuel filler cap only mentioned V-rated tyres, but the car was fitted with H-rated ones by Bridgestone, including the steel spare.

The Q is: should replacement tyres be V or H-rated?

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

there are about ten different engine types and as many wheel sizes on those. The best bet would be to ask a vw dealer, although having a lower spec tyre may never make any difference (in realistic terms) there could be arguments from your insurance in the event of a claim if they could blame the tyres (although it is unlikely).

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Seems absolutely insane that an ex-hire spec. Polo would be on V-rated tyres! - I very much doubt it would even get close to worrying H rated tyres.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, hire cars are usually from the lower end engine spec for the model. The mileage and age of the car when OP bought it, suggests that the tyres were the originally fitted, so OK for the model.

Reply to
johannes

Take a look in the handbook- the specs for different variants are listed.

Reply to
Chris Bartram