Renault Scenic DCi 80, P2413 OBD-II "Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Performance"

Could anyone please confirm whether they think this is likely to be the EGR valve? Is it possible to test/dismantle it to find out? The HBOL offers no help.

The car's done less than 40K miles and now it suddenly came up with this fault. Coincidentally just after filling up at one of the 'affected' Tesco's garages.

I called a Renault garage, they say they haven't had any diesels come in due to bad fuel, Tesco say it absolutely couldn't be them.

I know the focus has been on unleaded, but is it possible that silicone in the diesel could clog this valve up, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

TIA

/Simon

Reply to
Simon Wilson

silicone is the anti foam agent in diesel, so it is normally there

Reply to
MrCheerful

Dang.... it would have been nice to get Tesco to fund the repair :)

Reply to
Simon Wilson

The problems with fuel recently oin the SE, has clearly been reported as a problem with unleaded petrol.

My car has a flat tyre, just after I filled up with fuel at Tesco's, can I claim from them? :)

EGR valves do have a habit of sticking. In practice, they do very little good, and many people disable them. As long as it has stuck closed, then don't worry.

Reply to
Brian

Simon Wilson ( snipped-for-privacy@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The silicone that went into the petrol is a perfectly normal additive to diesel - it's an anti-foaming agent. Somebody poured it in the wrong tank.

Reply to
Adrian

Thh check engine light is on, and won't go away, even if I clear it. I don't yet know if the EGR is stuck (open or closed), but I have read it can be pretty disastrous[1] if I don't get it sorted.

[1] Anything from inhaling all of the oil to a knackered turbo.
Reply to
Simon Wilson

OK - maybe we tractor pilots can sue them because it *wasn't* poured into the fuel we were purchasing. The foaminess of my fuel being the direct cause of my badly-work gearbox, obviously.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

They actually do a lot of good, and disabling them doesnt really do much but increase emissions. I believe, on TDs, the EGR can have a HUGE effect on power- according to a technical note i was reading a while back - something like 20%?!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Yes, on TD's you LOOSE upto 20% with the EGR operating...

With no EGR, NOx's do increase slightly.

If at all possible, blank it off.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Would that also affect fuel economy... either directly or indirectly by the driver compensating for the open EGR valve?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Damn damn damn damn damn.

I got a new EGR - cost me a small fortune. Plugged it in to test (didn't remove the old one 'cos it's still stuck in). Started engine, reset fault code - fault code comes back immediately. P2413 again.

HBOL offers no help - take it to a Renault dealer.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Please?

TIA

Reply to