Astra 1.7TD V Peugeot 1.9TD 306 /406?

Looking for someat estate or car derived van size, intially thought Astra, until started looking at prices and asking about.

Friends Isuzu`ed TD astra just terminated in suspected piston /valve failure, garage that diagnosed it has a nother one sitting with fatal engine damage, both of these have been well maintained but celebrated their 100K anniversary within last 20K.

Garage down from me has a VX`ed TD ashtray van, took it as trade in, with knackered big end at 130K.

Got involved in wild goose chase with do(d)gily re-engined estate with 130 odd K miles on clock.Turbo motor cooked attempted replacemnt with normally aspirated 1.7D, dont do it , the power steering pump housing needs to be there and things don`t line up prpoerley.As the well shady vendors had discovered, engine sits squint.

Is the astra 1.7TD a hand grenade with a shaky pin?

Peugeot 406 looks attractive , prices , budget ain`t going far past 1500 squid, look OK for estate version.

See a lot more 1.9TDs past the 200K mark and beyond, know someone with 306

1.9 D non T still no worrys at 226K . Is 406 reasonable buy at the more budget end of market?

Thanks Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I've run the BX version of the 1.9D well past 150K and I reckon it should be good for well past 200k. I had a drive in a 406 estate about a year ago which had 150k on the clock (averaged 30k per annum) and that was fine on the test drive. Even the petrol versions of those engines seem to last well beyond 200k if treated right.

I know bugger all about Vauxhall diesels though.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

In news:j1Upc.1813$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Adam Aglionby decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Astras are s**te.

Pug 306 and 406 are much much better cars.

In fact, if I had to own a Diseasel, it'd probably be a 406 2.1.

Reply to
Pete M

Thomas the Tank Engine prevalent in your house?

Reply to
Malc

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Malc decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

only occasionally..