Astra 2000 creaking suspension

I have a W-reg Astra 1.6 Club, with 104,000 miles on the clock. Owned since

2002 and 15,000 miles.

I've recently noticed a creaking sound from under the car whenever I go over any reasonably significant unevenness on the road surface. It has always made this noise when I get in or out of the car when it's parked with handbrake on, and the same happened with my previous Astra, so I assumed it's just they-all-do-that-sir noise from the suspension. The noise happening when in motion is a new and slightly worrying development. Any readers with similar experience and/or advice on what problem there might be?

Thanks

Reply to
A.Clews

I had an asatra in recently with a strange creak, it turned out to be the anti roll bar, the brackets that go around it had split allowing metal to metal movement. The had split because of a build up of rust beneath them. Out with the welder and it was soon fixed. Other than that it is get someone to rock the car while someone grovels underneath and has a look, feel and listen.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thus spake Mrcheerful ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Thanks Mr C, I'll do that when conditions improve ;-)

Reply to
A.Clews

I have had a few cars do that. It was (on them) the rear brake shoes moving (slightly) within the drum as the car body dropped relative to the ground when I got in.

David

Reply to
David

Thus spake David ( snipped-for-privacy@home.org) unto the assembled multitudes:

That might indeed be the case when the car is parked and with handbrake applied, but not when it's in motion, as is what happens to mine. The noise when parked is what I regard as 'normal' for this car.

Reply to
A.Clews