Astra Mk III: fan control: advice sought

"R" reg Astra. The heater fan control knob "clicked" internally the other week, and now it seems to have no effect on re-directing the flow of air.

I am a Proud Veteran of changing the bulbs behind the heater controls (but see below). Took me over an hour (*with* advice from this group) to get at the bulbs, but I bet I can disassemble the console in 10 minutes now.

However having got to the heater control panel behind the console, and located where the bulbs are, the components are so extremely tightly packed that ...

(a) I COULD NOT find the third bulb which I know must be there (the one that lights the rear demister indicator when you pull out the central knob) and

(b) I COULD NOT work out what I should do to repair/replace the fan control knob. I could see that it's a sort of cam on the knob which fits into a variable channel, which controls a cable ... but it's all so tightly packed that I didn't want to bust it further.

What's your advice chaps? Replace the whole knob and assembly (perhaps go to a scrappy)? Or deliver it up unto the Vauxhall dealers?

I'm tempted to just write it off as U/S - I do get air blown out, though it's fairly undirectional. It seems dreadfully complicated and tight in there, and Confucius he say: a console is a thing of many parts: as he who disassembles it is doomed to find out.

John

Reply to
John

The bulb behind the fan/demister knob is accessed from the front. There is a small slit in the underside of the knob. Poke a very small screwdriver (jeweller's size) in the slit and pull the knob off. Once you've 'found' the internal clip within the knob it comes off without a fight, so no need to pull too hard. The bulb is then accessible with some long nose pliers. Mr father's Astra used to get through these bulbs at about 1/year.

When you say fan control knob, presume you mean the distribution (ie. top vents/floor etc.) since you mention cams and cables. Anyway, never removed it, but may be the same with a slit on the underside?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

If I remember rightly (from around this time last year when EXACTLY the same thing happened to me) the replacement rotary switches are about £20 from your local VX dealer.

I had some bulbs out, and I did exactly what you did. I, however, managed to smash the centre spindle trying to pull it off like the ones on either side before I figure the release clip out. I actually managed to salvage all the bits, figured out how the pull switch worked, superglued the smashed plastic back together and re-fitted it in the dark with a torch. I wasn't inspired as to it's long term health so I bought a replacement and fitted it (just in case)

I also got a bulb carrier (and contact rail) with the rotary switch and fitted them all together. They all work fine now - unlike the lights on the re-circulate and air-con switches which seem to have resented my prodding around in the console and given up illuminating at all.

Good luck John - get some plasters ready for the cuts on your fingers...

Reply to
Mark

Mark - thanks a lot. Funny - my recirc light went off too - as though it resented something. I'll have a poke around as you suggest.

Rich - thanks also: I can't really believe that that bulb is removable from the front! What a bonus if it is -- I'll have a look and see if I can see it.

John

Reply to
John

Let us know. My memory says the switch can be removed from the front, as well as the bulb.. but I do get confused these days.

With respect to the recirculation switch light, Google [groups] "astra recirculation switch" and go for the top message by "Mathew". Afterwards have a look at the entire thread to check it applies to your version of Astra. I have had no reason to try this myself!

Rich

Reply to
Rich