Astra Oil pressure lamp

Just trying to make my job a bit eaier here because it's cold and wet outside but what do you make of those cans of stuff called Gunk, you put it in the engine when warm, run for a few mins then drop the oil. It supposed to break up the slude in the engine and clean it up, I wonder if that might break the pieces up just enough to come out of the sump plug hole?

maybe pour some oil through once the plug is removed to try and push some bits out.... second thoughts looking at the haynes, it's only a few bolts so should be relatively easy and quick job to do whilst I'm changing the oil.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Who said it was professional? :-)

Me, some rope, and a toolkit. Plus the Haynes book of lies!

I'd recommend getting a proper puller for the bearing in the middle of the flywheel though.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Try that on a sludgy engine that's got hot & all the flakes come of & block the oil pump. Not good.

It's a bit tedious but also tends to be a bit unavoidable

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nope definately not a good thing. Wont be doing that then :)

Got a gasket on order to £16.00 not to bad I spose, Gonna change oil/filter at weekend and see what happens because Vauxhall wont have the gasket/pressure releif valve in till after new year.

Tim Have a goodun

Reply to
Tim Anderson

:) If you can do it and more to the point can be bothered to do it then fantastic. Unfortunately I can guarantee I won't even get a can of beer for doing this lot for him so I certainly wont be going that far indepth.

Going to change oil and filter at weekend and see what that does. Got a sump gasket and pressure relief valve on order should be here sometime after the new year so if the first doesn't fix it and least I can take the sump off and clean out the tube and sump pan. maybe that will help but if not after reconditioning the pump and swapping the pressure switch then it will probably be scrapped/sold on.

Thanks for you help so far and have a goodun :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Well you might not need to but the only way you'll know is to do all the work anyway:-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thats what I decided :)

Tim